Problems installing my new 30 gig quantum fireball

Outlaw69

Banned
I want to get rid of my old hdd and just use this one. when I plug it in...my mobo doesn't recognize it and I can't do fdisk because it says NO FIXED DISK present.

Can anyone babysit me thru this installation?

K

krusty

try manually entering the drive characteristics into your BIOS.

sectors cylinders heads etc... should all be listed on the drive label.

sometimes BIOS can be fussy, you could also clear your CMOS and try again.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
What about a BIOS upgrade? Who is the manufacturer and what is the model of the motherboard?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
make sure you have the jumpers set to the right position. not all manufacturers set a jumper to single drive position from the factory.

Read up on the manual or look around on the drive casing to see if there are any jumper descriptions, then set it accordingly.

Single drive only if there are NO other hard drives in the system.

Alternatively, you could use the cable select setting if you want it to automatically select master or slave depending on which IDE connector you hook it up to. (so you don't have to memorize the jumper locations if you want to switch it around in the future)

Also make ABSOLUTELY sure all your cables are firmly plugged in and that you are using a working power supply cable.

Outlaw69

Banned
its a QDI LEGEND BX mobo ....it's pretty old, but I'm gonna give it another try after I go bowling today. I'll let you know what happends.

JJR512

Originally posted by fury:
<STRONG>Also make ABSOLUTELY sure all your cables are firmly plugged in and that you are using a working power supply cable.</STRONG>

How many times have I been messing around in a computer, including the hard drives, making extra certain to plug in that IDE connector, and when I turn it on, it can't find the hard disk? What the hell? Well, I usually forget to plug in the power connector...d'Oh! :D

Outlaw69

Banned
I set the jumper on my quantum for master... thats it...just plug in the 40 pin and power cable just like my old hdd. I'm not gonna do it just yet, i'm severely hung over right now, and my freakin head is pounding.

JJR512

If you set it for Master, and it's the only drive on the cable, that's the problem. A device cannot be a Master unless there is also a Slave. Aside from Master, Slave, and Cable Select, there is another option, which is the one you want: Single. With some drives, setting them to Single can be as simple as completely removing (not using) the jumper.

JJR512

...I was just looking at the jumper setting guide to Fireball hard drives, which is now on Maxtor's site (apparently, Maxtor took over Quantum's hdd manufacturing operations), and it looks like the Master setting is the same position as the Single setting (or what they call Stand Alone). That position for regular Fireball ATA drives is the left-most vertical pair of pins out of the four possible positions, in other words the one farthest away from the power connector, or closest to the IDE connector.
http://www.maxtor.com/quantum/support/hdd/fireball_plusas_ata_support.htm

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Did it come with a floppy? It had to be fdisked & formatted to be read & it's usually quicker with thiers than MS

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Yup-another option is go to maxtor.com (I think), look around for thier "Maxblast"
hard drive install utility & download that to a floppy. It'll find, fdisk & format a new hdd. You may need your W98 setup disk too, but it won't be a full fdisk/format.