Problem getting Tribes 2 graphics working.

Joe Black<RC>

Hi NEO! I finally came to your site =oD

OK, I installed Tribes 2 and am having troubles getting the graphics working. The land textures and text are garbled when playing on-line, but only the land textures are messed-up in the off-line tutorials. I've adjusted visible distance both higher and lower. I've adjusted the color to 32bit. I've set the detail settings higher and lower. Any ideas would be great.

Heres what’s maybe a rhetorical question: is my 181X.VXD, driver version 4.11.01.1161 Version PV1.1, 4meg from Intel sufficient to run this game? I've had no troubles with Unreal, SWAT, Rouge Spear or the original Tribes.
:confused:

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Joe,
Here are a few tech support answers from the tribes 2 support area.
Testing has shown that the following video card and driver combinations offer the best performance with Tribes 2. We are working closely with these vendors and will update this page frequently with the latest information on any known issues. Check back often, or call the manufacturer directly if you continue to have problems running Tribes 2.

TNT: Det 6.50 (Runs best in D3D)
TNT2: Det 6.50 (Runs best in OpenGL)
Vanta: Det 6.50 (Runs best in D3D)
GeForce: Det 6.50 (Runs best in OpenGL)
GeForce2 (all): Det 6.50 (Runs best in OpenGL)
Voodoo 5 & 4 : 1.04.00 (Runs best in OpenGL) Note: Some folks have said that you need to use the November release of these drivers...not the February release. This MAY have something to do with the UE problem. Try it out if you are having that problem.
Voodoo 3 : 1.07.00 (ONLY runs in D3D)
Voodoo 2 : 3.02.00 (ONLY runs in OpenGL)
Matrox G400 & G450 : w9x_623 (runs well in both D3D & OpenGL...not much difference, slightly better in OpenGL)
Diamond Viper II : w9x_95103 (ONLY runs in OpenGL and not at all on Win95B
ATI Rage 128 & 128 Pro : 4.12.6269 (runs best in OpenGL and not on W95B at all)
ATI Rage Fury Maxx : 4.11.01.7925 (runs best in OpenGL)
Permedia 3 : 21070825 (Runs best in D3D)
PowerVR Kyro 3 : OEM Drivers (ONLY in D3D)

here is the recomended video card from them:
Supported Video Cards:
Pentium II: 300 MHz w/ GeForce & GeForce 2, Diamond Viper II, Ati Rage 128,
or
Pentium II: 400 MHz w/ TNT, TNT 2, Radeon, Matrox G400 & G450 Voodoo 3, or
Pentium III: 500 MHz w/ Voodoo 2, Voodoo 4, Voodoo 5, Kyro Permedia 3 Most of the video cards they list are at least 16 meg or larger. I think the 4 meg card you have could very well be your problem.

Joe Black<RC>

In the words of one of our great modern philosophers... "SHAZBOT!" I think your right. I've verried and reconfigured every imaginable setting but I still can't fully appreciate the amazing graphics of this game without the aid of recreationsl pharmacuticals... after that, it looks great! So I guess I install a new card... or just stock-up on orange sunshine. hmmm... ;)

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
So joe
you looking for a new video card or what?
You will love the eyecandy in this game...

:cool: