Opinion question about Career and Certifications...

Whitehat

Hey all....well this will be an interesting first post :)

I have a question for you. I would like you to be as non-biased as you can. I would also not like this to turn into a flame war.

Thanks...

OK. I am an MCSE in Windows NT 4.0, and I am also Linux+ Certified. I have about 5 years in the IT field. I started off in tech support about 5 years ago, and now I am a network engineer for a large hospital. We have about 1200 Computers, and 50 server. 10 of the servers are Novell, and the rest are NT, and Win2000.

I really like linux/unix. I also work on Cisco switches and routers. I guess what I'm saying is I have a "broad knowlege" of a lot, and I have a somewhat deep knowledge of MS Servers/desktops and networking.

I'm 29 years old, I have no college degree, and I make around $50,000 annually. I am looking for a career where I never have to deal with 'users'. I am stuck in deciding what to do. I really like Operating Systems. I also like hardware and Cisco stuff. I want to pick the "next best thing" in IT. I want to pick a direction that will not be obselete soon I want to make a bit more money too.

Right now I'm doing mixed server support/switch and router maintenence/desktop support.

I want to know what you think I should do. Should I go deep in Cisco? Should I get going in HP-UX/Sun Solaris/Linux? Should I go deeper with Microsoft?

If you've read all this, I really appreciate it. Thanks!

Peace out, and Happy Easter.:cool:

Professur

Mushroom at large
Well, everything in tech goes obselete, so forget that idea. Server maintenance is pretty good. Telecom is not bad, but the contracts are pretty short.

The best thing right now it database admin. But the stress level is pretty high.