Observations

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Can you name 10 good words to describe Americans as a whole? I can think of about a handful... free, diverse, patriotic, powerful. But if I say to name 10 bad words, I can start naming them left and right. lazy, panicky, stupid, dependant, hypocritical, paranoid, cynical... you get the picture.

I'd say generous could apply for the good words about Americans as a whole, but that really only applies to the government and some of the people. Most of them don't usually give a helping hand. You read about people whose homes were destroyed by an act of God or act of financial despair a lot in the news, but you rarely ever read about their community coming together to help them rebuild. You find people laying out on the streets of many big cities often fatally ill, but you rarely ever find anyone helping them up and taking them to get cleaned up or get a job.

Call me pessimistic, but I think somewhere along the line, the majority of people forgot the concept upon which this country was founded. They think that freedom means that they're free to sit around sucking off the government's tit, never lending a hand to their fellow man or paying respect to the people who gave their lives so that this country would still be there tomorrow. There are relatively very few people still sacrificing their wealth, well being, or energy for the benefit of others. Firemen and police aren't the only kind of people on the earth, yet 90% of news stories about rescues involve them.

Don't get me wrong. I despise the idea of anyone supporting people who are able but too lazy to get their own job. But other than that, there aren't a whole lot of people who fully understand the ideas which this country stands for and the amount of sacrifices that had to be made in order for there to be a country for those ideas to stand for.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
True. How much of the American population do those apply to, though?

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Surprisingly, quite a few. Who is the first to give aid when another country has a calamity? Americans.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The government and sometimes some volunteers (usually ameri/peace corps) give that aid. I'm talking about the people that live in the country. People you go to work with, people you flip off in traffic, people you see on the street gangbanging some young innocent woman walking through the ghetto, etc etc.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Only partially true. We give an enormous amount of aid through organizations like the Red Cross. Hell, we rebuilt Japan & a rather large amount of Europe after WWII through monetary donations & goods.

PuterTutor

I'd have to say in the area of the country that I live in, thoughtful, generous, and kind are very descriptive of the majority. I do think it's true that in other parts of the country self-centered, egotistical, and mean would be much better terms too. I like to think that as a whole, we fall more towards the first. I could just be kidding myself, but I've met more people I like than people I dislike.