NvidiaFX

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
so i have been scouring the net to get all the juicy details on this card. It appears the the big N has decided to use the excelent 3dfx technology they bought up a couple years ago.
And who can blame them. It WAS the king of the hill for many years.
I found a few places to preorder them and the going price has been 399.99 USD. All i can say is I gotta start saving my pennies now.

If you gotta have it Day 1! Ships 3/9. BestBuy.com has the BFG Technologies Asylum GeForce FX 128MB DDR-2 AGP Graphics Card Model: ASLMGFFX128 $399.99 shipped free by next day.

Compusa

some of their advertised benefits:

CineFX Engine

Intellisample Technology

High-Precision Graphics

nView Multi-display Technology

Digital Vibrance Control (DVC)

Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)

AGP 8X
0.13 Micron Process Technology
Delivers high performance through faster clock rates.

400MHz RAMDACs
Industry’s fastest RAMDACs support QXGA displays with ultra-high, ergonomic refresh rates.

8 Pixels/Clock Rendering Pipeline
Makes all of your favorite games run faster.

Architected for Cg
Ensures that the newest, cutting-edge special effects in applications will run flawlessly. Speeds up content creation so game developers can get their new games out to PC users faster than ever before.

Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 Optimizations and Support
Ensures the best performance and application compatibility for all DirectX 9 applications.

New 64-phase Video Scaler
Highest quality for scaling DVD and other video to full-screen HDTV resolutions.

OpenGL® 1.4 Optimizations and Support
Ensures the best performance and application compatibility for all OpenGL applications.

Video Mixing Renderer (VMR)
Harnesses the power of the 3D graphics engine to empower the user to view multiple video windows simultaneously with superior quality, and avoids the problems associated with video overlay.

World’s First DDR2 Memory Interface
World’s fastest memory delivers fluid frame rates for even the most advanced applications.

DVI
Able to drive large displays with up to 1600x1200 resolution.
Oh and for those still skeptical about the 3dfx part this is a clip from nvidia.

Attachments

• gffx.jpg
    gffx.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 24

Acid

stud
And it's fashionably late.

ATi will release it's badass video card soon to follow. They've already tore the market up with their Radeon9k series. If I was going to buy anything, I'd obviously get ATi :)

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
it took me a long time to find a GF4 ti4x00 for under $100. Don't pull this one now.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
I dont know acid with the reintroduction of 3dfx we could see glide. And who wouldnt want to see that? It was/is the best. puts gl and d3d to shame.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Not unless they update it all the way to hell and back. Show me 2048x2048 textures in Glide, show me hardware lighting in Glide, show me complex models in Glide... You can't.

Glide may have been faster than its D3d and OpenGL counterparts of the time, but it was (to steal a couple words from Acid) "fashionably late". D3d and OpenGL had already begun implementing new features to enable more complex and detailed scenes.

Personally, I think nVidia is trying to rush this product out the door and has been ever since the release of the Radeon 9700 and Pro. I can't wait for the Radeon 10000+, it's gonna blow everything away. The best use I can think of for the Geforce FX would be to reprogram it to run Genome units. :headbang:

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
w00t now that would be cool. my vid card running genome.
true they may be rushing it, hell you cant even get it for review yet. sothe truth is that all of it is speculation till its actually available. But how many of us die hard 3dfx people are there?
If they kept the right employees from 3dfx and are now using the technology, chances are we "could" see a new and improved glide. which should still smoke the rest.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
until ati switches over to the .13 chipset you wont see much of a speed increase. but i believe that is in the works already.