My Linux Stupidity is showing

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
ok, I click on an executable file (as all good windoze users should) and it asks me which program should it use to open it. HOW THE HELL DO I KNOW-YOU'RE THE OS. So, .bin, .exe., etc-how do I install shit on Linux?????

S

s4

Good question. I have been playing around with Linux for a long time and haven't figured that one out yet. :lol:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
what kind of package did it come in?

.tar.gz?

for those, you make a new folder for them, tar -zxvf filename.tar.gz then type ./configure

At least, that's what I was told (and it worked... the program I installed like that is BitchX and came in .tar.gz form)

Gonzo

Staff member
the 2 I d/l'd are 1).exe & 2).bin, BTW, both from linux sites

S

s4

From what little I know those are executables, and you should be able to run them from the console. The website where you got the program should include installation instructions. I've had my share of confusion with Linux. Installing Java's SDK from Sun was no picnic.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
How are you coming with this, Gonz? Keep us posted :smash:

Inquiring minds want to know this kinda stuff for when they encounter it :)

Gonzo

Staff member
Like shit is how I'm coming. I managed to install Flash in Nutscape, but it was a nice easy put these files here type of thing. I can't find an RPM for the few things I want to do & the .exe (which is what EVERY d/l has ultimately become) keep asking "open with..." and I don't know. That is one place MS is excellent-installing with ease. I also managed to mangle my Mozilla to the point of no return, but THAT I have on disc & can re-load (maybe). I've used it about 6-8 hours this weekend & am not impressed yet. It's slower than Win98SE & it's harder to work with, but I won't give up yet

Gonzo

Staff member
I am about to give up on Linux- the wonder OS of the century. It's driving me nuts!!!! I know what I want to do, sometimes even how to do it (mostly) and it still won't do what I want. I tried an RPM version of Mozilla 0.9.3(it came with .8), using the file manager-got RPMinst to run on command & the dirty rotten SOB told me it needed like 15 files. I knew where they were, I knew how to move 'em & alls Linux could say was "Force or Quit". I'm getting VERY FED UP with the silly assed thing. It seems something so "wonderful" wouldn't be so ****ing hard to deal with-shit it's been around for 10+ years & installing a simple upgrade is sooooo maddening. :mad:

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
FYI

Linux is not dependant upon file extensions to recognize executable vs data files. It is actually determined by a file property whether a file is executable. Do not bother trying to run .EXE .BIN only known executables and .sh (shell script file: sorta like a DOS batch file on steroids)

Be sure when you download a file that it is actually for Linux and also compiled for your CPU I.E. Alpha (DEC Alpha), PPC (Power PC), I386 (Intel 386+), I586 (Intel Pentium+) etc. This is normally indicated in the file name.

P.S. Gonzo, stop in my office. I have the Complete Idiots Guide to Linux for you. Remind me to look for Practical KDE too.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
In some instances, you must put a ./ in front of the file that you wnat to execute. THe reson is vecause the directory you are trying to execute the file from is not in your path. So, for example, you want to execute joe.exe. From the command line, type:

./joe.exe

Also, if you are installing something, typically these programs are going to want to install files into a directory that users do not have access to so you will want to be root to do this. Once you have the terminal open, just login as su, or super user.

su
<password>

Then run the executable. If it's a tar or gunzip, after extracting them, you should be able to do a ls and see what you have in the directory they got extracted to. A lot of programs that you download are set up to be compiled. So from the terminal type the following:

./configure
./make
./make install

Hope this helps.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Also, what programs are you trying to install? I would like to pull them down here and run them.

Gonzo

Staff member
Posty, I was just trying to update Mozilla from 8 to 093, add realplayer & flash, and the java update to Nutscrape. First, I figured I'd do updates to get the feel & then run real proggies.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Ahhh. I see. I've had a few problems with Mozilla and trying to get it to install the plugin for Java. Been using 91 since neither 92 or 93 will install the plugin for me. Tried everything I could think including coping the directory over from the previous version. Nothing worked though. Finally settled with 91 since it did work.

Get the rpm's for Mozilla and uninstall the previous versions through RedHat Package Manager. Much easier than trying to compile the source.