My brothers now have a computer

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Had some spare parts left over from upgrading mine (namely, a half-broken KT7a, a T-bird 1.2 @ 1.33 and 512 megs of PC133 SDRAM)

So I set em up with it.

It runs a little toasty, but not too bad. They just like having their own computer now. :D

Man, they're lucky. My first own computer was a K6-2 350 with 128 megs of PC100 ram and a Rage LT 4 meg. :D

T-bird 1.2 @ 1.33 (1.85v)
512 megs PC133 all at CAS2
TNT2 Vanta 8mb (it'll play Quake 3 at a fairly decent framerate in 640x480x16)
6.4 meg WD 5400rpm ATA33 HD
Some extremely fast CD-ROM drive
SB16 ISA Plug & Pray (yeah, one of those old things... it actually still puts out some good sound considering how old it is, and it's not like my brothers are gonna care if they can't have 3d sound effects in Quake 3)
Intel Pro 10/100 NIC

All this running on a 235w power supply... smell it buuuurn! :D

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I'd kill for that. Really I would. :(

At least schools finally over so I'll have some $$$.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
That is one thing it did not do very well. Now when one of them is painting a picture on theirs, the other can't wait their turn and has to steal mine, and when one of them is playing Quake 3 on theirs, the other wants to play Unreal Tournament 2003 on mine. :lol:

Well, not all the time. I've managed to get them to start taking turns in Quake 3 on their own now, so maybe I'm in luck. The older one is sitting at it right now. Sweet, precious peace! :grin:

Spirit

Kissy Goddess
Not many kids have big brothers with such a huge heart like you have. They are very lucky.

You're such a sweetie, Fury.

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
Oh! What am I chopped liver? I said you were a good brother too! ;)

Huge: I aswell would kill for such a machine

rrfield

Those brothers sure are lucky. my first "own" computer was a 386dx 40MHz with 640K onboard RAM plus 1MB additional RAM and a 20 MB hard drive...DOS 5.0! Then i upgraded to a P5-75 with 24 MBs of RAM and a 512 MB hard drive.

richard field
[email protected]

fury

Administrator
Staff member
That would be AMD, then. Cause everybody knows AMD processors are the only ones that crash. :D

Actually I don't remember Intel ever having a 40mhz 386. I thought that was specifically an AMD thing.

rrfield

I honestly don't remember what brand it was. the p5-75 was intel though. ive been strictly AMD since.

could the 386 have been a cyrix?