Motorola SB4200

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Nice price at Circuit City. $99.99 minus a $50. MiR-not for new customers only. I got mine today. It'll save $5. a month on the cable bill. Has a "Stanby" feature too.

It only took the idiots at Comcast 3+ hours to enable it though :rolleyes: I called them back & the guy wanted me to do the power down crap. After 5 minutes he said "we'll have to roll a truck". After explaing this was a new modem, he put the correct info in his system & I'm up. Dumbasses. Like I'd want a Comcast service "tech" anywhere near my computer. :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
How will this modem save on the cable bill? by owning the actual modem instead of renting it?

We're buying ours off the cable company, $28 a month for four months (we figured the extra $12 versus most things we could find at CC was worth knowing the modem was supported and being able to have it right off the bat), first bill was when we got activated on 9/30, so in a few short days, we'll own this modem :headbang:

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Tell me about the stand-by feature. Does it not let any traffic in when you're not online? Does it come on automatically after a certain period of inactivity?

Gonzo

Staff member
It's a button on top of the modem & when you wish no activity, hit it & nothing goes through it.

catocom

Machinehead
I rent mine, for like $5/month.
At that price it would take a few years to cost as much as buying one,
plus if anything goes wrong with it is thier baby.;)

They've already had to replace one.

Gonzo

Staff member
catocom said:
I rent mine, for like $5/month.
At that price it would take a few years to cost as much as buying one,
plus if anything goes wrong with it is thier baby.;)

They've already had to replace one.

99.99-50MiR=49.99/10 months = paid for itself. :cool:

catocom

Machinehead
How long do you have to wait for the rebate, if it comes?:p

and
What happens if lightening hits it, in the first month?