Monitor question and BNC-RGB versus 15pin VGA connector

dimme

I have a 17" Eizo monitor (sold in the US as Nanao I think) which can do very high resolutions. The problem is that in every resolution, the corners are slightly blurrier, barely noticeable in low resolutions (up to 1024x768-1152x864). Over those resolutions, it starts to get more noticeable but the blur is still very very little. Is this normal on CRT monitors? It does not have a flat tube, it's a normal CRT.
This monitor has BNC-RGB input at the back and I'm currently using the normal VGA port. Will going to BNC make a big difference? I'm running at the resolution 1280x1024. Will it reduce the very slight blur on the edges of the monitor?

Thank you for your replies

fury

Administrator
Staff member
every CRT monitor has some form of the blurry edge problem, because the corners of the screen are the farthest away from their respective counterparts on the picture tube. Some monitors are better at handling this problem, and some are not. I may be a bit mistaken on this, it's been a while since I've paid much attention to CRT technology, but I'm certain the problem is least likely to be your video cable.

S

s4

I searched Google and couldn't anything sorry. I have plain old Compaq monitor and there is no blur around the edges. I think some of it could be due to a worn picture tube if it uses the same technology as a normal SVGA monitor with a tube.

I have had a monitor that was brighter around the corners than normal which indicated problems with the tube. Is there any color distortion? If it is very noticable, it might be time to think about upgrading while it still has some value.

dimme

There is no color distortion at all and no other problems either, no sudden color shifting differences or other crap that some of my friends' monitors do. It has no signs of death.

I have had a 17" monitor before (2 years ago) and when it was new (3.5 years ago) it was also a little blurry in high resolutions 1152x864 and 1280x1024, even 1024x768 on that one was a liiiiiiiitle blurry on the edge, and that monitor was new.
It later crapped out when I tried to run it at 1280x1024 @ 85Hz (it could only make 60Hz) but for some reason it did not say that the signal was out of range like it was supposed to. So it sometimes used to turn completely white and needed a smack to get normal again. I sold it later and got the sony trinitron I have now. And this Eizo is for the second computer.