Mandrake 8

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
How about this-I'm using Linux. It installled VERY easily & it's running slowly, but I'll get it better, too cool.
I have no clue what I'm doing so I'll be bugging Wine4ALL(even more thasn usual) & I may post many , seemingly obvious, questions in here

S

s4

Yeah Mandrake is cool. I got it installed on my second drive. Version 8 runs slower than 7.

Congrats Gonz! :beerchug:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I have Mandrake 8 as well... If I find a reason to try it (catastrophic hard disk failure and replacement with a nice, fast 40 gig Deskstar 60gxp anyone? :D), any tips or notes I should take down?

Gonzo

Staff member
It never impressed me, so now I've got Redmond, per NEO's link . I like it better than M8. I'm still not sure what the big deal is, Windoze runs quicker & smoother than either Linui.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Because you can modify it if you want, it's free for the taking and it runs forever. To actually crash Linux takes some work. To crash Windows requires only a install of it. hehe Seriously, it's a wonderful PS to play with and really learn how a truely powerful OS works. It's not all eye candy. Linux itself is nothing more than a command line interface. Have you used features like the virtual desktops yet? Ctrl + F1-7 will get you a different screen to log into and work in. Granted you can only have one session of X running at a time, but again, it's nothing more than eye candy. The real power of Linux resides in the multi user ability of it. Put 200 users on a NT server and watch it fail. Put those users on Linux and watch it romp and stomp. I'm not bashing NT. It's got it's uses. But Linux is designed for just that. Server usage. NT was an offshoot of Win 3.1 :retard: And then developed into a megalith of code that takes all night to compile. I can compile a kernel in a matter of twenty minutes or so in Linux. In the end, it's fun. It's different because it's NOT Windows. IT's NOT what everyone else is using and it's NOT the standard. It's personal. Many flavors, many tastes.

Gonzo

Staff member
I wasn't degrading Linux. I'm just yet to see a workable advantage. GImme time. Although I did crash Redmond tonight-I was editing a post I made & kablam-it was asking my user password...:confused: