Life begins at 30?

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I always had a problem with age. As I grew older and older I thought I was losing time and opportunities. Things I liked were becoming 'outdated', people younger were being the center of attention. The time for having fun was being left behind. I was becoming one of those old guys on a corner of a party I used to see when I was 16, like old fortgotten dinossaurs...
Then suddenly, everything is upside down. The music I used to enjoy is now 'in' again. Worst, there is young kids among the fans. Parties pop all over for 30+ yrs old scum, and I met aother outcasts like myself in every square meter. I found myself doing things I never did when I was younger, because I hadn't the courage or self esteem or was too scared to hurt others.
It's like I'm young again, but with all the maturity and experience I wished I had then :spin:
I don't know how long this era will last but I'm willing to enjoy every second! :)

unclehobart

this is my special title
I feel better now at 34 than i ever did at 19 or 21. Youth is overrated. What good is youth when you still have rampant acne, no money, a bad attitude, rampaging hormones, skewed visions of worth, and precious little wisdom?

greenfreak

Noite Escura said:
I always had a problem with age. As I grew older and older I thought I was losing time and opportunities. Things I liked were becoming 'outdated', people younger were being the center of attention. The time for having fun was being left behind. I was becoming one of those old guys on a corner of a party I used to see when I was 16, like old fortgotten dinossaurs...
Then suddenly, everything is upside down. The music I used to enjoy is now 'in' again. Worst, there is young kids among the fans. Parties pop all over for 30+ yrs old scum, and I met aother outcasts like myself in every square meter. I found myself doing things I never did when I was younger, because I hadn't the courage or self esteem or was too scared to hurt others.
It's like I'm young again, but with all the maturity and experience I wished I had then :spin:
I don't know how long this era will last but I'm willing to enjoy every second! :)

It's called a mid life crisis. ;) Just kidding sweetie. :kiss:

I know what you mean, although I did do a lot and had a great time in my teens and 20's. Besides a couple of years in my mid-20's, I've been quite happy with my life, the people in it, the way it's going. When Rusty and I decided to move in together, we decided to pay the extra money for rent so we could be close to the beach in a "summer community". We kinda went a little crazy, buying 'stuff' that we wanted instead of saving, going out to eat a lot, etc. Living like people who are five years younger than we are, basically.

We've calmed down a bit with spending but we still don't want to move. With the inflation of housing prices and rents lately, we're actually paying less for our apartment than comparable apartments in our area. We've got a healthy savings account also and we're really enjoying ourselves. I guess the decision not to have kids is going to prolong our feeling of youth, that we're not really getting older, even though we are. Maybe once we get a house we'll settle in but by then, we'll have a whole new experience to get used to and enjoy.

So, I think it's all in your mind. And if you feel younger than what you perceive you should feel at your age, you must be doing something right. :D

kuulani

Life begins at 30? I have 3 more years to be born ;)

Seriously though, I never had a problem with aging. Maybe because my social circle includes people of all ages, from 18 to 40-somethings.

PuterTutor

I think Noite's on to something here, it's called confidence, or at least realizing that someone saying no isn't the end of the world. I remember when I was younger I was scared to death to even ask a girl to dance, now, no problem. You just come to realize there are more important things in the world.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Almost there. I used to think that I couldn't go alone to a club. If I did, I would think everyone was staring at me with disapproval or something like that.Tthen you realize you're not that important and almost nobody would give a damn about who are you, or why you are alone or how you're dressed. And most of all, even if they do it doesn't change a thing on who you are...

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
I will agree with that .. I'm so much happier in my 30's than I ever thought I was in my 20's. I'm a better mom, a better friend, and a better person. The big thing about my 20's was I thought I knew everything. But now, in my mid 30's, I know I know everything :D .. kidding .. I'm kidding ..

And what ku'u says is true - we have so many different ages of people that we hang out with in our social circle - it really helps me keep perspective on things.

Inkara1

Isn't it funny how everyone who used to live by the words, "don't trust anyone over 30," are all over 50 now?

MrBishop

Felix Culpa
When I hit 30, I started feeling more like my confidence was real...based on experience, skills, knowledge etc...and when I look back at the type of confidence that I had in my teens...I realize that it was 90% bluster and hot-air.

kuulani

I'm still at a point in my life where I can't eat at a restaurant alone or go to the movies alone. I wonder if that will ever change?

greenfreak

Me too Ku'u. I went to the movies alone once, to see Forrest Gump because none of my friends wanted to see it. I spent the last 15 minutes crying my eyes out (Momma dies, Jenny dies...) and I vowed I would never do it again.

What prevents you from doing it? For me, it's me being self-concious, people staring, etc.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I always did that. I realized soon that with my luck if I didn't alone, I would never do a lot of things. Going to bars alone was my main issue, man how I used to feel bad...

kuulani

It's probably the self-conscious-people-staring-at-me issue that stops me from going out alone. Maybe its because I live in such a small town, I'll guarantee see someone I know, who may feel "forced" to invite me to join them, making me a third wheel. I don't know :shrug:

But, unlike the stereotypical woman, I can go to the bathroom by myself :D

unclehobart

this is my special title
When people stare as your soloness, just whip out a notepad and make some scribbles like you're some kind of stern newspaper critic. It makes for good camouflage ... and might even land you a perk or two at the restaurants.

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
I'll go to Borders alone .. but that's really about it .. I've been to the movies alone but that was back in Waimea where you can sorta come and go inconspicuously at the small movie theater out there ...

any other moment, I need an entourage :D