"Lantern" virus spyware for the Government ???

BigDadday

Everday People
Just read that there are rumors that the new Magic Lantern virus is being accused of being spyware, (and not a true virus) for the US government to keep track and monitor the activity of pediophile and other criminals. Also it's being reported that virus manufactors, such as McAffee, are working with the government to design their virus protection software to not detect the the program. According to statements, Lantern is designed to enter the computer via an innocent e-mail attachment and inserts the program on the computer and reports back to the FBI all information about the users Internet usage.
For more information read here http://www.wired.com/news/conflict/0,2100,48648,00.html
==============================================

Passing this along.....also heard something about NIS and have no details of that yet.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

jopes

Your Nightmare
I read about that a long time ago.

something to the fact the US will never do anything like that because it is breeching our freedom.

there was a virus like this and was emailing the feds, but nothing was done to the people so to speak.

You would have to see something running in the background too. And what about people who have some pictures of thier kids that they took with digital cameras?

I mean tracy took a picture of ours when they were standing on the bed looking outside after a bath. both in the buff, are we now considered that we have broken the law as well?

soniclos

There were stories like that years before the internet got huge.

The peoeple that wrote the stories were later found wearing tinfoil hats so that aliens couldn't read their minds.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Typical.

Bleh.

I'll be sure and not use Outlook Express for a while, that should take care of all possibilities of catching the virus :lol:

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Well, what's the problem? It seems that Americans are upset if someone say that they are taking our rights for granted. We're standing in line for hours at the airport to get on a plane, we're allowing them to "hold" immigrants for an indeterminate amount of time without formal charges & we're allowing Tom Ridge to do "whatever he can to protect Americans." So, it okay isn't it?