Language experts here

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I would like to know what you understand from the bolded text:
The Balrog made no answer. The fire in it seemed to die, but the darkness grew. It stepped forward slowly on the bridge, ans suddenly it drew itself up to a great height, and its wings were spread from wall to wall; but still Gandalf could be seen(...)
I was in a discussion with some guys in an Orkut community about Lord Of The Rings, and we came to the subject of Balrogs having or not wings. Any replies would be welcome.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I was told that "spread one's wings" can mean "fully develop one's powers". I just wanted to check if it does make sense. Though it may be a british expression...

leslie

Spread one's wings is more...um...

Stop doing the only the same things, and open onesself up and try new experiences. Something along that line. Nothing much to do with powers imo. It refers to a baby bird leaving the nest, in doing so it is "spreading it's wings" and moving out to experience the world.

I would have to gather, not knowing much about the book at all, that he's literally speaking of wings, especially with the reference that although they were spread, Gandalf could still be seen. Meaning that Gandalf wasn't hidden by the wings.

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna have to go with Les and HL. The context doesn't lend itself to the figure of speach "spread ones wings" as in "experience new things" or "discover ones full potential" but rather literal wings...due to the reference to Gandalf being able to still be seen but also due to the fact that they use other physical descriptions such as it drawing itself up to a great height...

Gato_Solo

Nixy said:
I'm gonna have to go with Les and HL. The context doesn't lend itself to the figure of speach "spread ones wings" as in "experience new things" or "discover ones full potential" but rather literal wings...due to the reference to Gandalf being able to still be seen but also due to the fact that they use other physical descriptions such as it drawing itself up to a great height...

And another vote for Les and HL. Why describe physical characteristics when dealing with non-physical ideas?

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
That's what exactly what I told them, I just wanted to have some backup. Thank you for your help people. :)