kinda stupid email question

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Sometimes my OE announces I have new mail, it even says 2 or 4 or whatever new messages...but my inbox is empty. Could this be from Blocked Senders and the messages aren't actually reaching the inbox? What happens to messages from blocked senders?

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Hmmm.. not too sure..
If you block a sender, all that happens is that any msgs from that sender get moved straight into Deleted items.
Have alook through your Options & see if there might be something....

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Thanks a13...ok, I looked in options, everything looks kosher in there. I also checked the deleted items folder (which I just emptied recently) and everything looks pretty familiar, plus I think there would be alot more in there if all the times it said I got a new message with nothing in the inbox...so I guess its not blocked senders. Very weird.:spin:

trinity1

1 of 3
Hi Q.
If you are using MS Outlook and you are in the Inbox folder; Right click on the upper toolbar and see if you have the "advanced" option enabled.
When it is enabled you will see the word MESSAGES or UNREAD MESSAGES or if you hit the arrow to the right of these words you will see a menu of a total of 10 choices. What you want is UNREAD MESSAGES.
Let me know if this works!

BTW I'm still waiting Missy!!!!:wave: :grin: :wave:

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Trinity my lovely hunk of manliness,
If I am doing what you're telling me correctly, when I right click on the top toolbar I have these two options: toolbar /views bar...now if I check viewsbar, I get the following 3 choices: 1.)show all messages 2.) hide read messages 3.) hide read or ignored messages. Show all messages is selected.
I am using IE5.5.

Re: BTW- 2 small snags have occured...I am working on them. :)

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
...but ....but...my mailbox is broken:cry: ...and I hardly touched him, I SWEAR!!

trinity1

1 of 3
Please, please touch away...

..................but will you respect me in the morning???!!!

As far as your mailbox, perhaps one of the more established members might be able to help you better than I can.
I was also thinking that perhaps it was your ISP or the server where your mail might come from that was causing you grief.
Good Luck.

I AM THERE FOR THE Q

Attachments

• darkelf.jpg
    darkelf.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 29

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Trinity was your suggestion specific to Outlook, or does it apply in Outlook Express as well?? Q is using Outlook Express.

But interestingly, I had a user ring up today with exactly the saem problem.. OE would tell her she had 1 or 2 new msgs more than she did have.. interesting...

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Originally posted by a13antichrist
But interestingly, I had a user ring up today with exactly the saem problem.. OE would tell her she had 1 or 2 new msgs more than she did have.. interesting...
Well. I guess I can draw comfort in knowing I'm not alone, some lady in NZ has a flakey mailbox too.:worm:

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
This isn't the problem my lady was having as she

1). is using a POP3, not IMAP account

2). doens't actually miss any msgs - OE creates "phantom" messages that she actually was never sent.

Maybe it helps you though Q.. :)

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Where is your mail directed? Inbox should accept all unless you specify somewhere else.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I'm using OE5.5
all my messages are directed to the inbox
I am subscribed to no newsgroups
it does appear to be the phantom message problem, which used to happen once in a while, but now it happens about everyday:confused:
it doesn't apperar to be causing any problems...it just bugs the hell out of me:mad:

trinity1

1 of 3
My answer Q is to simply reinstall IE 5.5.
There should be no problem in overwriting what you already have installed.
I have reinstalled Office 2000 several times and all my personal settings and info remained intact.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
All I need for my t-bird is a power switch, once I get that baby running fairly smooth, this POS is getting c:format:beerchug: In the mean time, I guess I can put up with some poltergeists in my mailbox:smash: