Is it really that bad?

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
My wife has some old t-shirts that she bought when she lived in Mauritius. One is cartoon character of a black man smoking what looks like a huge joint. The other is the cartoon guy in an office (smoking what looks like a big joint) with a black woman who has her feet on the desk and she's doing her nails. In Mauirtius this cartoon character (Bongo is his name) is very popular.

Now, a few times a week my wife goes to the gym and she sometimes wears one of these shirts. WELL! When she does there is a black lady (African-American Woman if you want to be PC) that gives her a hard time. "that shirt gives black people a bad image. How can you wear that? bla bla bla...."

So my question to you, is this lady over reacting or are my wife and I just very unsensitive?

BigDadday

Everday People
No you and your wife are not period. If it wasn't that shirt I'm sure the other woman would find something else to complain about and try and have all of you feel bad that she is a black woman. Well she's black and so what? If she see's it as a racial thing then that is her problem and not yours.

A very good co worker who is black has told me that if you have a problem with it then it's you who are the one who is at fault.He told me that he is who he is and wouldn't change a thing and he also has opened my eyes so I now see people as people and not colors as this lady is pointing out to your wife that she is a different one then it's her problem.

Life is to short to worry about the small stuff. We are who we are and that was not our choices but we were dealt a hand at conception and we are just playing it out. BD

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
It's a Catch-22. Since your wife is being racially harassed (hint, hint) it is a bad thing. Since the shirt depicts a cartoon character, it's a good thing, ie-advertising.

Some people just don't know when something is a joke, and even if they did know, their sense of humor was shot off by a PC cop. I think that "black-face" was a very insensitive thing, since there were actual blacks that could play the role. But a cartoon character? get a grip.

As long as we separate ourselves into colors, religions, ethnic differences, etc, we can't be a nation as a whole. This applies to Canada too. It's time to be an American, or Canadian, or wherever you live, and let the subtleties be personal.

75renegade

Official Wine Taster
Yeah! What BD an' GONZO said! The woman needs to shut the hell up, not because of 'er skin color but because she's way out of line! Are we as caucasion males to be offended by Bart Simson t-shirts? After all he depicts the white middle class male as mindless, out of touch with reality an' hopelessly unable or "unworthy" of respect from even 'is family.
Sounds like the woman ya mentioned is a pasive-agressive, co-dependent busy body. At least if she cared 'bout the feelins' of yer wife, she might've tried a more disarmin', friendly approach with 'er "comment". Jus' keep walkin' an' smile!:)

Crabbleboys

Morris Dancer
A joke is a joke! Verbal printed whatever! Tell her to get a life Fuser Man.
Most humour is offensive to someone, so if we listen to the moaners we'd be a sad bunch of humourless gits like them.
just my 2p

BigDadday

Everday People
If you want to really floor her tell your wife to wear a different t-shirt underneath it and when she doe tell her to whip it off in front of her and ask her if she really wanted it so badly she could have it. *evil*:D