Internal Zip Question

BigDadday

Everday People
OK I have an extra internal and want to put it into a spare puter but I am wondering for those in the know.

OK I have the ribbon going to my cd-rom,ribbon to my hard drive and a ribbon to the floppy. How would I connect this one? To the floppy? Or?????

Kruz

Staff member
if it's like the one i used to have..it went to the floppy cable.You should be able to tell pretty easy... just compaire the size of the connector...

ris

i am my my own evil twin
never seen a floppy-cable zip, usually they're ide internals

if you have two ribbons in there then they should have spare connectors on htem [ide channels can take 2 devices]. suggest connecting it to the cdrom ribbon.

if you try the iomega website they should have a manual or diagram to show you the correct jumper arrangement too

alex

I have had two 250mb zip drives for years. BD, they are IDE devices. Connect it to the cdrom cable like ris said. Set the jumper to slave. Iomega does not recomend putting a zip device on the primary IDE channel with a hard drive.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, cause when the drive would be accessing, it would slow down anything wanting to access the hard drive.

It's the same deal with CD-ROM's, you want to avoid putting hard drives and CD-ROMs on the same channel if possible.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
fury said:
Yeah, cause when the drive would be accessing, it would slow down anything wanting to access the hard drive.

It's the same deal with CD-ROM's, you want to avoid putting hard drives and CD-ROMs on the same channel if possible.

Definately. If it's possible, put the CD-ROM and the ZIP Drive on the same IDE channel. Ensure you have them setup as Master/Slave properly. Some systems want that Zip Drive to be setup as the master device though.

I've had Zip Drives since the day they came out and the one thing you have to know about the internal Zip's is that you have to unplug them when you install an operating system fresh from a format.

I've owned several computers with all different specs and I've had to do this every single time. Reading this thread and some of the replies, I'm now wondering if they were always connected on the Secondary channel.

Best of luck to you! :)