if you have the option of setting up windows or linux for your dedicated genomer...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
As much as it's going to wrench my gut, I have to say go with Windows. I hate to say it, but the Windows client is a crapload more stable than the Linux client as it is right now.

My T-bird will lock up way WAY before the program will crash or terminate.

My Linux box's uptime is great (9 days 22:25) but the Genome program has just been crashing left and right, usually leading to me having to clear it (and it's usually at about 25-29 sequences of a 68aa or so when it does this)

This translates to less production, which is bad for both the S.S. Flurffmeister and the S.S. Hellspawn in which it is tugging :(

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
You are correct. Linux clients at G@H have a history of slow/buggy perfoemance. I don't know that I see fixing that as a huge priority at Stanford, either.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
That sucks too, cause jodie has some nice production numbers, but is using mainly linux client iirc and is having a lot of her fleet stop producing due to dead genes :(

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
I would propose that a dedicated Windows machine would be perfectly stable - I've never had crashes at home, where I hardly ever do anything. But the net cafe machines crash all the time - I suspect concurrent usage is one of the big problems of the Win client.

Whereas the Linix client just seems to be naturally volatile.. :(

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Strangely enough, I use mine all the time and everything else in the system (IE, Explorer, mIRC, ICQ, Outlook express, etc) crashes before Genome ever blinks.