I HATE it when that happens!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The hardware victims in this latest assault, in which the circuit breaker for the power to my room was "accidentally" flipped ONCE AGAIN by my mom's beloved drunk boyfriend, were my power strip and motherboard.

The power strip looks like it caught a couple sparks, but it's still usable. As for my KT7a mobo, I've lost another PCI slot so I'm down to 2 usable PCI slots out of the 6 on this board, and my ISA slot no longer works either (my good modem is no longer even being detected by Windows). That's all I can tell right off the bat, I bet my voltage regulator is even more out of whack now. I think this thing has just about had it :(

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Yeah, and make the asshole pay for the new board.

Why is the loser screwing around with the circuit breaker anyway? Put a piece of duct tape over the switch to the breaker for your room, so he can't accidentally flip that one again.

Also, may I suggest sticking a hot curling iron up his ass, as he has obviously NOT grasped the dangers of playing with electricity.:mad:

S

s4

Just throw a bucket of water on him the next time he goes to fuse box.:laugh:

Justin is right, better quit using that board. Your cpu is the next thing that is going to fry.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
s4 said:
Just throw a bucket of water on him the next time he goes to fuse box.:laugh:
Great idea! ...if the objective is to burn the house down. :p

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I'm only $65 away from being able to get a good 512 meg stick of PC2700. That's about 2-3 lawn mowings.

alex

Jeez, I just paid my son $60 to do my yard yesterday. Of course that includes trimming and edging.

Tweety

Just a Birdie!
Um... enligthen me... cuz I missed the pre-story.
How does him fiddling with the breakers hurt your puter? Is it turned on? does he short stuff out?
It migth be a good idea to get a UPS for the new puter perhaps?
Or put a cabinet around the breaker box... with a lock...drunk a-holes shouldn't mess with it...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Bad electrical wiring, Tweety. There is a huge surge every time the breaker gets flipped or the power goes out. The surge protector I've got my computer on isn't rated to however many volts come out of those surges or something, because it's like I don't even have a surge protector on it. Speaking of the power going out, it went out about a week ago and I am down one DVD drive and one hard drive. :(

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's my top priority along with DDR ram now. Does a 650 sound OK? Most of those are available in my price range...

Professur

Mushroom at large
Isn't your power srtip insured? Most of the better ones will cover you for between 2 to 5 thousand for surge damage.

650 is more than enough unless you've got a 19" monitor plugged into it. I've found some small (power strip sized) UPS's up here for $50cnd. Only about 10 mins of backup power, but full, total surge protection. I should be getting one this weekend.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I'm afraid to get something that's too strong because it might overload the outlet. I do have a 19" monitor in fact, a shitty one, but still 19"

The power strip is insured to like $700-800 I think, but only if it is proven that the power strip was defective. I don't think I could prove that, because it is only rated to protect against so big of a surge, and the stuff running through our electrical wiring every time the power is cut is way too strong, because usually if any kind of surge gets through the protector, the PSU is what blows before anything else, and my PSU is running as good as new with everything else blowing.