I HATE IBM

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
The drive I bought in like early June, which died in late July and wasen't replaced until two months later just friggin dies again. MY FRIGGIN GOD!!! This thing isn't even a month old! IBM...YOU PEOPLE ARE THE WORST DRIVE MANUFACTURER'S ON THE FACE OF THE PLANET!! I HATE YOU WITH A PASSION!

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Acid

stud
My drive is working fine, and has been for about 2 months. If it fails now, i'm coming after you :lurk:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Mine has been running like a dream *knock on wood* for a little under a year now.

S

s4

My suggestion is to get a replacement drive and sell it. Then buy a good brand like Maxtor which I've been using for years. I 've never had a Maxtor drive go completely bad.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Maxtor? What're you crazy? :smash: Never will I buy a Maxtor. Those drives are worse than these poppy IBM's. For years I bought Western Digital and had the fewest problems of any drive I've used. Then a few good reviews later and the advice of some friends (yeah...that's what they call themselves. Can you believe it? :D ), I bought these IBM's. Back to Wd for me. Got a 20GB WD that's been pounded on left and right with every OS out there. Never falters.

Acid

stud
I've got the WD Caviar 20gig as well. It's awesome. I've even dropped it in my case a few times :eek2: and it didn't hurt it at all :D good drive for all the complaints i've heard people having.

from what i've seen tho, it's all just what drive you get. i've heard of people having the shittiest luck with a certain brand/model, and other people praising it like it's god. :D

Maxout

I also have that WD 20 gig, it has been like a rock, not one bad sector with some serious Overclocking.

S

s4

I've had very good luck with Maxtor, and they have an advanced replacement policy if the drive goes bad. Their customer service is excellent.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
I used to use WD exclusively, until I had 3 go bad on me in one year (all new drives). I also used to avoid Maxtor, but at about the same time WD went south, Maxtor's wuality seemed to improve. I now use Maxtor almost exclusively.

It seems to me that most manufacturers go through cycles where they produce great drives for years, then the quality tanks. At that point, I'll switch. Then the guys I switched to will tank, just as the original manufacturer seems to get their shit back together. Then I switch back. As a result, I never say never.

Inkara1

I have an 80MB WD drive from 1991 that still works.

My 20GB Maxtor 7200 RPM drive is now a year and a half old and has had no trouble so far.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
With my luck, you'd think I'd have hard drives failing left and right. :shrug:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Still chugging along, a month after this post. I must have good luck for a change :scared: