How to Create an 'Unreal Tournament' Level

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
These days it's hard to throw a rock into cyberspace and not hit a rousing round of multiplayer mayhem.

Part of the success of these games can be attributed to the plethora of new levels that trickle onto the scene from amateur level designers. To help you test the waters of level design we put together a simple, step-by-step outline to create your own death-match level for "Unreal Tournament."

To create your own level use Unread ED. It's the excellent mapmaking utility that you'll find tucked in your "Unreal Tournament" folder.

Creating rooms

Once it's up and running, you'll see four windows. These will represent the top, front, side, and 3D views of your level.

First we need to create a room shape to work with.

On the left-hand side, about half way down, you'll see a cube icon. Right-click the cube to get the cube properties box.
Now change the X, Y, and Z values to 512 each. This determines the dimensions of your room.
Last, select "build." This will give us a nice big room to work with.

Now we'll create smaller rooms within the larger structure.

Place the cube brush somewhere in the top view and with the keyboard, hit Control+S to create a room.
Move the brush over slightly and create a second room nearby.
Right-click on the cube icon again and change the X, Y, and Z values to 256.
Use this brush to create a hallway between the rooms, but be careful to line up all your floors in the front or side views before subtracting the hallway.

Adding textures

Now it's time to decorate the level.

Select the texture icon along the top bar, opening up a .UTX package.
Select a texture and then right-click on a target wall and choose "apply texture." The wall will now be painted with your selected texture.

Lighting

To add lights, right-click on a ceiling and then choose "add a light here." The little torch represents where light will originate from when you're playing.

Starting points

Next, we want to tell the map where to start the players.

Select the actor class browser, again from the top.
Under the heading "navigation point," highlight the selection "player start."
Back in 3D view, right-click on the floor, and you'll see that "add player start here" has been added as an option. Put one in each room.

Building

Now it's just a matter of selecting the "build menu," and then highlighting "build all." After your computer has worked out all the features, just save the file as "DM dash" or whatever suits your fancy -- as long as you use the prefix "DM." Now simply click the play level button and -- wham, bam -- you've got yourself a new map.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
How to Create an 'Unreal Tournament' Capture the Flag Level

we discussed how to make a simple death-match level by subtracting rooms with a cube brush and adding lights and player starts. But ask any hardcore gamer and you'll find it's all about the team games. We need to discuss a few more things in order to pull off a good capture the flag map.

So again we're using "Unreal Tournament's" excellent mapmaking utility, Unreal ED. Now create a good map by following the steps in our previous how-to.

Create team starting points

Once you've got your map ready, it's time to add the team starting points.

Open the actor class browser, and under "navigation points," highlight "player start."
Back in the 3D view right-click on the floors and add a few player starts to each end of the level.
Right-click on all the "player starts" that you imagine for one team, and then highlight "player start properties."
Under the player start category make sure the team number listed is "0."

And of course do the same for the other end of the level, but this time assign a team number value of "1" for each of the player starts. This way each team starts in its own base.

Add the flags

Again, select the actor class browser, and under "navigation point" highlight "flagbase."
Back in 3D view, pick a spot in both bases to place the flags and simply right-click on the floor and choose the option "add flag base here."
Right-click on the actual flag and, like assigning teams, select the flagbase properties and change the value to reflect the appropriate team. The numbers will be a "0" or a "1."

Save as CTF

When the map is saved you need to add the prefix CTF to whatever your map name is, so that your map comes up in "Unreal Tournament" as a capture the flag level. Now you're good to go -- except if you plan on using bots or CPU controlled players, in which case there are two more things to do.

Adding bots

Bots need to know where to stand when they're defending the base.

Again, in the actor class browser under "navigation point," you'll see the menu "ambush point."
Open that up and then highlight "defense point."
Now back in 3D view you can right-click on the floor and add the defense points.

Directing your bots

The last thing you need to explain to the bots is how to get from A to B. You do this by adding path nodes.

Under the "build" menu select "build options" and down at the bottom choose "create new path network." Unread ED will do the rest of the work for you.

So there you have it, a shiny new capture the flag level.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
It's funny how you posted this NEO; I've been digging this up on the web and can offer some links. Be sure to grab the latest patch (at least one of the latest patches) as it will include Unrealed 2.0

http://www.birrabrothers.com/drac/unrealt/ut_ued.asp
http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~nucleus/main.shtml
http://www.planetunreal.com/uedlab/Tutorials/tutorials.html
http://www.unrealism.com/unrealedmax/

Before someone thinks I'm some sort of ghoul, before 9/11, I wanted to make a UT CTF level depicting the WTC area. It is a rather unique area and I thought since I have a laptop with me down here, I could go to any area that I happen to be working on and map away. Now, I'll have to resort to memory and books :(