How risky is it...

Mephisto

Where do you want to go today?
... to remove fan/heatsink-combo (CoolerMaster) from my T-Bird 1.3 GHz, clean the CPU, then apply heat conducting paste to the CPU and put f/hs back on? Can I damage my CPU?
If I plan to buy a new f/hs combo, how do I find the one that is easiest to exchange?
Thanks!

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
It's slightly risky, but I've done it several times. The main risk you run is crunching your core when removing and applying the heatsink. I've found that it's helpful (if you're nervous) to have someone else hold the HS in place while you go about removing and attaching the clips. Either that, or invest in a spacer/shim which can minimize the risk when you put on the new one.

In my experience, you should be fine, just be a little careful.

As to which HS/Fans have the better clips, my only advice is to avoid anything made by Globalwin.

Mephisto

Thanks, HomeLAN!
I have my case open on one side, and under full load my CPU temp rises to 58 degrees. That's not critical, but I'm planning to get my butt up one day or the other and go for better cooling!

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
You're right, it won't fry your CPU, but that's a touch warmer than I like to see mine run.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The risk is always there for your CPU to be crushed under the pressure, even when you don't even touch it. Albeit less imperative when the clip is not stronger than Arnold Schwarzenegger (ahem, Globalwin), but the risk is always there.

If you have an extremely careful set of hands, then you've really got nothing to worry about. Just make sure that it is cooled down pretty well after shutting the computer down before removing the heatsink. Cracking damage from heat expansion can occur if the CPU is, e.g., about 60 degrees and you just pop off the heatsink right after you shut it off (As I experienced with one of my CPUs)

Even if you do have a careful hand, I would highly recommend getting a spacer to prevent crushing your CPU.

The OCZ store sells a copper spacer. It doesn't assist cooling in any way other than helping it not to crush your CPU. I use one on my T-bird (with their excellent Glacier 2, which is down to $7 USD) and it's currently happily crunching away in Genome@home for the OCN Hellspawns without any (literal) crunching problems.

Good luck

Mephisto

fury, thanks for the interesting links!
The 58 degrees I mentioned are reported for the Asus BIOS. When I upgrade my BIOS, the temp readout goes up 10 degrees. A member at amdzone.com said she placed a temp sensor close to her CPU, and the readout was 8-10 degrees lower than the lowest Asus-reported temp. So, probably my CPU only runs at 48 degrees?! :confused:
That's one reason why I haven't done anything about it before.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
True, the Asus temperature monitor is, uhh, quite inaccurate, but just to be on the safe side you should replace that cooler with a better one.