How long do you suppose before the world unites in peace?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I suspect, with all the terrorist activity going on in recent events, that it will take at least a century or 3.

If I'd have to make a ballpark estimate, I'd put my guess at about the late 2200's to mid 2300's. Here we are in the 21st century, with virtually none of the advances promised last century (hover cars, efficient speech recognition, affordable robotic maids, to name a few), and with people still setting off bombs and throwing airline jets into buildings. Humanity's maturity level, it seems, is still at its infancy.

I don't expect to even see proposals by major governments of the world until the early 2200s, and that's a long shot in itself.

What do you think?

How long do you think it will take for the governments and the people around the world to unite with one another in peace, completely rid of violence, racism, hatred, and other bad stuff like that?

Gato_Solo

Problem is, we already are one race. The human race. The only differences between the races are cosmetic (skin/hair/eye color), or religious. We divide ourselves by these differences, and try to say that we, and those like us, are superior just because that other person over there doesn't look, or act, like us. It's been going on since mankind started, and it's going to go on as long as some feel that they are better than others.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't see the many religions as being that different from each other. Think of the things in common between every religion: They all contain a basic set of guidelines intended to control people and give them something to yell at their kids when they feel they must punish them. They all have their respective horror stories about what happens to people who violate those guidelines. They all each have a theory as to how earth and the human race came about. And they are almost always against the freedom of thought.

Call me cynical, but that's just how I see religion and it is how I have seen religion for quite some time now. If you must find some reason to banish certain things from your life like technology (if I'm not mistaken, the catholic religion denies you the pleasure of television, condoms, and whacking off), then make your own reason, don't say it is because your religion is against it. Religions exist solely to control, nothing more, nothing less. Take control of your own thoughts

That way, the only difference between the "sub-races" wil lbe cosmetic.

Gato_Solo

Since you mentioned the term 'sub-races', I would like to add something.

*ahem* If you call us all sub-races, you may be implying that there is a master race. I'm VERY sure that you didn't mean to imply that, but it's another can of worms that must be opened and dealt with before mankind can live as a single HUMAN race. There are no subspecies of Homo Sapiens that I know of, and I don't think anyone else does either, or it would have been stated long ago.

As for your religion statement...okay...you're cynical. :D

Catholics are allowed to watch TV, btw...You may be thinking of the Amish who deny themselves the 'modern conveniences'. ;)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't mean it as a condescending term, sorry. There just needed to be a different term to use for what we now refer to as the different races of the planet, since we are all one race, not a collection of separate races. Sub-race sounded better than differently-colored-groups-of-people.

I could've sworn it was some religion that started with C that banned tv, condoms, and whacking off...

Gato_Solo

I know that the Catholic church frowns on contraception, whacking off, and SOME TV programs, but TV itself isn't banned. Depends upon the content of the shows, really. The only other religion I can think of off the top of my head that bans SOME modern conveniences is the Mennonite religion, which is an off-shoot of the Amish...

BTW...Did you know that some religions actually BAN cheese??? :D

Wonga

I might offend a few people here, and I am sorry if I do (I really don't mean to), but I don't think there will be world peace until Religion disappears. It is not that religion is bad. In fact, I think is good (although I am not personally religious), but many people use religion as an excuse to harm others. It shouldn't be this way, but it is.

Gato_Solo

Well, religion was not SUPPOSED to cause those problems. It just gave people another reason to kill each other off. If we didn't have religion, I'm SURE we'd find something else (MY dad can whip YOUR dad)...

kuulani

Wonga said:
I might offend a few people here, and I am sorry if I do (I really don't mean to), but I don't think there will be world peace until Religion disappears. It is not that religion is bad. In fact, I think is good (although I am not personally religious), but many people use religion as an excuse to harm others. It shouldn't be this way, but it is.

Good point. Believing in higher powers doesn't have to end, but religion as an institution is bad. Religion is often misinterpreted and used as an excuse for stupidity.

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
as long as there are different cultures, religions, and points of view, there will never be world peace. the thing is, I'm not sure what the definition of world peace means to everyone .. if it means "we all think the same and do the same things" then, I don't think I want it .. cause the differences are what makes us all special and unique ... but if by "world peace" you mean sensitivity to the differences and a willingness to live and let live by the ways of their culture, then I'm all for it. :)

kuulani

Come live in Hawaii ... we know how to get along with different cultures, religions and points of view.

Just don't tell us we're stupid for believing in what we do, and we won't tell you you're stupid for believing in what you do ;)

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I'll rant later, but the short ansers involves hell & freezing

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
How long do you suppose before the world unites in peace?
As long as a big war starts and almost everyone is killed. Stupidity have only one medicine: pain. Unfortunately the human being is an unperfect creature that only learns through mistakes.