How do I??????

BigDadday

Everday People
I have 2 20 gb HD's and they do not read 20 they read 7.87 so how do I get them to read the right thing? Thnx,

format them with a program like Partition Magic?
It's obvious a great part isn't formatted, so it doesn't read the total size of the HD's.

BigDadday

Everday People
I don't want to partition them as I think two 20 gb Hard drives are enuff so what exactly are you saying. Sorry I;m a bit confused at your answer.BD

You have 2 HD's of each 20 GB?

First thing: don't use larger chucks of HD than 10 GB or so. So you could best partition them. Make 4 partitions of 10 GB or something like that. Or keep one at 20 GB. Keep things orderly.

But you're saying that Windows doesn't see those HD's as 20 GB, but as 7.87 GB.
Since when did this happen? Did you install them new?

What I think is the problem is that the HD's aren't completely formatted: 7.87 GB is probably formatted, but the rest isn't. So you can use Partition Magic or some other app to format the rest. If the rest isn't formatted, Windows won't recognize it...so it has to be formatted in FAT, FAT32 or NTFS.

Acid

stud
he doesn't need to partition. and how old is your system? if it's pretty old, you may need a BIOS update/hack. Older BIOSs don't like big disks (no pun intended :p). And it's also a possibility that's it's not completely formatted. You'll have to check.

I didn''t mean that he had to partition, only I would recommend to use more partitions.
Large partitions tend to slow down a system. Further is the use of more partitions really usefull when you have to format.
I only have to format 3 GB when I'm doing a clean install. Saves a lot of time compared to 30 GB and the trouble of backing up all the data.

BigDadday

Everday People
OK I have reformatted the #1 and it once read 20 and then bought #2 and formatted that and never looked. I see that it reads 20 when I look at the drives but when I look at Norton System Information it reads the 7.87?

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Are the drives being seen to their entirety within the BIOS? Both drives, being seen as 20GB drives?

BigDadday

Everday People
Took a look in the Bios and found out that they were just on auto detect and nothing was listed so I will have to add how many cylinders etc and that should do it I would think. BD

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Possibly not. Older BIOS versions will only recognize up to 8 gig no matter what. If that's the case, you'll have to figure out the make and model of your motherboard, go to the manufacturer's site an download a newer BIOS for rhe board, and flash (update) your BIOS.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Did you have any type of drive software installed? the stuff that comes with the drive? Like EZ-BIOS, etc.. If this is installed, it may be inhibiting the limitations of the drive. What OS are you currently running? When you reformated the drive, did you run fdisk and recreate the partition?

BigDadday

Everday People
OK when I format I do a C: Format and that is the only way I know. I do not understand Fdisk and it was not a partitioned drive but the full 20 gb?I'm on 98se but am trying to go ahead and throw win-2000 Pro in and just am waiting for the right time. I'm a bit hurting and cannot take the puter for that long so doing it to me at this moment would be a major overhaul with the way I am.
Sorry I'm l8 in answering but I have therapy 3 times a week not counting what I have to do at home and it has been taking and knocking the heck out of me and I go to sleep and nap etc.