Holiday traditions

greenfreak

I'm a little sad about Christmas this year because it seems that I won't be with my family on Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day.

When we were kids, Christmas Eve meant more to me than Christmas Day. We would wait till then to get our Christmas tree, Dad would pick one of us to go with him and help pick it out, then he would bring it home and the four of us would decorate it... In the meantime my Mom would be in the kitchen preparing her lasagne for the next night's dinner, Dad would be making his egg nog from scratch... Then Mom would make Toll House cookies for all of us and after we were done with the tree, we would all sit around in the living room, listening to the christmas music on the stereo, looking at the decorated tree, eating cookies and drinking egg nog. Finally, we were allowed to open one present before we went to sleep.

Christmas Day we didn't have many traditions, just the attack on the presents and my Dad would make eggs, bacon and english muffins for breakfast.

The reason why we might not be spending Christmas together is because all my siblings have kids of their own. And they want to spend that time with their families. I was really upset at first but my mother reminded me that we never spent Christmas Eve with extended family, aunts and uncles. Just us.

Because Rusty and I aren't going to have a family of our own, it means we're alone. So we're trying to make the best of it, taking time off that week, planning on going into NYC to maybe see The Nutcracker at Radio City Music Hall, go to Rockerfeller center to see the tree and go ice skating, take a tour of NBC studios, go to FAO Schwartz....

But on Christmas Eve night, we'll be alone. And I'm going to need to keep myself occupied so I'm not too upset. What are your holiday traditions? Any suggestions on what we can do?

Inkara1

You mean you really can't think of something to keep the two of you occupied? Maybe you could dress Rusty up as Santa, and you can give him some milk and nookie. :D

unclehobart

this is my special title
I give my father right of first refusal since he is all alone on his side of the family. His parents are dead and he was an only child .. so I am all that he has. So if he desires my presence in some way, I oblige. We end up doing Chrsitmas CDs all day and cook 5 times as much food as we can possibly handle. I can usually talk him into breaking out a a little of his 100 year old conac. But, if hes managed to land some time with a rolling orgy at some nudist colony or hooking up with old buddies on some yacht in the Chesapeake, I am cut loose to go to moms. That side has about 17-20 people show up and is a roaring good time all day. Christmas presesnt on Christmas morning, cookie baking all day and all night ... ham, shrimp, and iced tea (friggin tea toadlers). Everyone usuall y tries to corner me for endless 'howyadoin?' chats as I am the only one that doesn't live in that area. They only hear from me every 6 months or so.

freako104

im a freak im so proud of that
we get together with some family which is always nice. were not big on traditions in my fam :) were just a close loving fam

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
We don't do a lot on Christmas day. We just stay home usually. Last year we were in Newfoundland with my grandparents so it was a bit different but usually we'll just chill at home all day.

kuulani

Not spending Christmas Eve with my family like that would upset me too, especially as it holds so much fond memories. I understand that your siblings want to spend time with their families, but they'll have plenty of time for that - if it were me, and its not, I would want my kids to spend time with their grandparents on Christmas, for as long as they're around.

Ever since I was with my husband, we've spent Christmas with his family. I love their Christmas tradition! We all live in separate houses on 10-acres of land, and we each buy our own Christmas tree to decorate our different houses with. Early Christmas morning, we start at one house, open our presents that are at that house, then go on to the next house for our presents that are over there. We continue until all four houses are done, and then eat a huge brunch at the last house. I love being together with the entire family!!

My husband and I have also started our own private tradition, where we'll open one present each Christmas Eve. That way we can spend a little time alone, but still enjoy the festivities with the family the next day.

I wish I could spend Christmas with my family, but they live on different islands and its hard to get together with them. That's why we do Thanksgiving with them, and Christmas here.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
We do christmas with the families. both sides its great for the kids and by the end of the day dad is tired from all the driving and eating. But i dont mind it. i eat more in the day than for a week combined. plus i schedule my vacation for the whole week. so pleanty of kiddie time for me.

greenfreak

:laugh:

Ku'u, see that's what I'm talking about. It's like it's a hassle to them to be with everyone and "entertain". Christmas has always been for the kids and without them, it's just not the same. :(

Sammy, I did that too, take the whole week off. Rusty just got confirmation that he got that week off too so it will be nice to have all those days to ourselves. Because of his job changes the last few years, we haven't been able to take a vacation at the same time. Finally, that's changing.

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
I know just how you feel, greenie ..

My immediate family is huge but we still get together every Christmas and open gifts. I wouldn't mind just doing the 'my own little family' thing because there are 35 of us and it takes literally hours and hours to open gifts - but it is fun. The only reason why we keep doing it, well, maybe not the only reason but one of the hugest reasons is, my youngest sister has no kids and she is a stickler for tradition... she wants to celebrate Christmas this way FOREVER.. the other thing is since losing our father, we try to spend as much time together as possible, which isn't easy because there are very very few siblings I care to spend any amount of time with ... because I'm usually gone on Christmas, my family and ku'u's family exchange gifts before we leave ... that's usually really nice. We're sorta building our own traditions ..

:)

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
oh i have inky, but we need to see a pic to be sure its just not the girl that came in the frame...:)

Inkara1

Once I can get my digital camera to quit washing out all the images in white, I'll see what I can do.

kuulani

nalani said:
because I'm usually gone on Christmas, my family and ku'u's family exchange gifts before we leave ... that's usually really nice. We're sorta building our own traditions ..

Yup, so I get to open presents a few days before Christmas with nalani, on Christmas eve with my hubby, and on Christmas day with la familia. :clap:

greenfreak

nalani said:
I know just how you feel, greenie ..

My immediate family is huge but we still get together every Christmas and open gifts. I wouldn't mind just doing the 'my own little family' thing because there are 35 of us and it takes literally hours and hours to open gifts - but it is fun. The only reason why we keep doing it, well, maybe not the only reason but one of the hugest reasons is, my youngest sister has no kids and she is a stickler for tradition... she wants to celebrate Christmas this way FOREVER.. the other thing is since losing our father, we try to spend as much time together as possible, which isn't easy because there are very very few siblings I care to spend any amount of time with ... because I'm usually gone on Christmas, my family and ku'u's family exchange gifts before we leave ... that's usually really nice. We're sorta building our own traditions ..

You're making me feel worse. ;)