HIV Virus

law2

If you have HIV Virus and you've knowingly caused the death of some people, are you a murdered?

Or if you know someone who has HIV but didn't do anything about stopping him, are you an accessory to murder?

patweb

Eater of Hot Peppered Steak
Wow, what a moral delimma.

On one hand, notifying a guys girlfriend that he has HIV? Morally, do it. Legally.....?

See HIV carriers are protected legally from discrimination. Since we have no cure, we have focused on maintaining that person who would have otherwise (without advance treatment) died. Therefore, by prolonging thier life and not curtailing the proclivity which created thier condition is of questionable benefit to the general public.

It is a sad state of affairs.

As an example, look at Magic Johnson (?). He had sex and infected hundreds of women. Yet today he is a 'hero' of the movement.

The edict "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" doesn't wash well in America.

SO, in your position, I would let the person know, ANONYMOUSLY if posible.

(This is a hard issue to broach, as many of us have friends and family that are HIV positive.)

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Originally posted by law2
If you have HIV Virus and you've knowingly caused the death of some people, are you a murderer?

Or if you know someone who has HIV but didn't do anything about stopping him, are you an accessory to murder?

1-abso-****ing-lutely
2-no, but carry THAT around your whole life:smash:

unclehobart

this is my special title
1. It is a crime to have a disease and knowingly expose others to it in a reckless manner in the US. Its punishable severity is in par with the general lethality of the disease. AIDS would be an attempted murder charge as well as reckless endangerment.

2. You wouldn't be an accessory to murder... but you can be found guilty of a violation of certain 'good samaritan' laws that pertain to such things. The criminal penalties are fairly mild, but the civil ones are boundless.

patweb

Eater of Hot Peppered Steak
Hi UncleH,

There is no way for the victim to know that he had prior knowledge. Even if he did, it would be difficult to prosecute a case civilly. If the two persons had consensual sex resulting in the infection I don't think a third party can be sued.

Remember the Scarlet Letter? USA society today is not going to make the infected identify themselves. Therefore, how can you blame a third party. It would be MORE likely that the 'freind' sue the guy that disclosed the information. My recommendation is to tell the victim anonymously. BUT, if LAW is the only one that knows about it.... DENY DENY DENY....