HELP I was attacked by a tech guy...

BigDadday

Everday People
I was having them install a ethernet card in and he came while I was at work needless to say and this "tech" guy didn't even know how to install one. Not that I'm sure how but I thinbk I can but want some advice.

Let me first say he was a nice guy but knew nothing about puters at all. He evn was upset when he put a floppy in the A drive and "nothing come up".

OK He says I have to many items in the puter and they cannot install it. I have two open (slots) and want to know if it's ok to put it in the lowest one and after that what should I look for in networking etc.

I'm on a free juno account as the cable will not even register anymore.:(

HELP!

S

s4

Call the company and insist they send someone that knows what they are doing. If that guy was as inept as you say, he had no biz trying to install anything.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Just install it on any open PCI slot. When you restart the machine it'll "find" new hardware, that's when you put the drivers in & restart. Once it's in & you're back up, you'll need your settings for the cable. put them into Network Neighborhood, TCP/IP Properties & Identification.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Yea what gonz said. If you need further help post in here and we'll walk ya thru it.:D :D

S

s4

I assumed that since BD had someone else working on it that he would rather not do it himself. There are some people that don't like to install things are their computer.

BigDadday

Everday People
That's not entirely true but when it's something I ordered and they were supposed to do it I expected it done. Also I never had cable or an ethernet card before and I want to learn I must say that so in the future I would know what to do.:D

OK I took it out as I put it in the very bottom one and after installing the drivers for it and also using my win 98se disk as well when I go to reboot I get nothing.:( I uninstalled it and have it sitting here just waiting for me to put it in.....

What I have to look at is any conflicts and also have learned that with this modem you have to shut the puter down and unplug the modem,wait a minute,then replug it in and wait until the status and the power lights remain lit. In other words wait for it to be recognized.:)

If you do give me details in full I intend to copy/paste to word and then print out so I can do it step by step.

Also is there such a thing as not being able to use the extra slots?

Thnx and am back on with it hooked thru the USB at the moment.BD

Brewmeister

After it asked for the driver disk and the Win98 cd and you rebooted, did the ethernet card show up in the device manager??? It should have been there with no exclamation points, red x's, question marks, etc.

Normally, the only slots that are not useable would be shared ISA/PCI or PCI/AGP slots where you can use either one but not both.

The way cable usually works the modem assigns an ip address to the ethernet card, so the tcp/ip properties (in the network control panel) should be to use an automatically assigned ip address and dns (name) servers. Turn the moden on and let it go through it's self test and pull an ip address from the cable company, then power up the computer. If you want to check the automatically assigned ip address, click start-run and type winipcfg. Hit enter and pick the ethernet card from the drop down list. You should have non zero ip address, subnet mask, default gateway, and dns servers (hit more info to see these).

fury

Administrator
Staff member
edit: Same happened to me as Brewmeister, lol, I read this post first and then the other one after I posted this message.