Gender-accurate Bible

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Big ole story from the USA Today, March 27, 02

It seems there are/were too many He/Him/Thou/etc in the King James translation to fit our culturally diversified genderless society so, we now have "Todays New International Version"
Scott Bolinder said:
it "honors biblical principles" yet shows today's readers "the Bible isn't only for the boys"

a sampling-
King James version said:
25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:
26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?

vs.

Todays New International Version said:
25 Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even though they die.
26 And whoever lives and believes in me will never die. "Do you believe this?"

Since, at the times of it's writing, women weren't the scholars & clerics of the faith, was it written to be read by men, or written using the male gender pronouns to be all inclusive of "mankind"? Is this sacriledge, to rewrite it using our sytax? How about genderless pronouns?

A brief timeline of the biblical changes:
<ul>
<LI><b>3rd-2nd Century BC:</b>
<UL><LI>Septuagint: first translation from Hebrew and Aramaic to Greek
</UL>
<LI><b>AD 4th Century</b>
<UL><LI>the Vulgate: translation to Latin from Hebrew & Greek. The Catholics Bible for 1100 years
</UL>
<LI><b>around 1384</b>
<UL><LI>Wycliffe's Bible: Challenged the church regarding Latin as the official language of God. Used English language. Branded a heretic.
</UL>
<LI><b>1455</b>
<UL><LI>Guttenberg prints first book-Latin Bible
</UL>
<LI><b>1522-1534</b>
<UL><LI>Luthers German Bible: based on Hebrew & Greek manuscripts. Established the Reformation idea that it should be accessible by the masses. No longer were the church teachings the only source of biblical information
</UL>
<LI><b>1526-1537</b>
<UL><LI>Tyndales Pentateuch. English, drawing from Hebrew scholarship advances, wants all people to be abler to read the word of God. Tynsdale is burned at the stake for this, afterall, it's forbidden, by law, for commoners to read the Bible.
</UL>
<LI><b>1557-1560</b>
<UL><LI>Geneva Bible: Carried by Pilgrims to the New World. Includes theological notes.
</UL>
<LI><b>1568</b>
<UL><LI>Bishops Bible: first Bible Authorized by the Church of England
</UL>
<LI><b>1611</b>
<UL><LI>King James version: From Hebrew & Greek and 10 competing English, Latin & German manuscripts.
</UL>
<LI><b>1881-1885</b>
<UL><LI>English Revised Edition: using manuscripts older than King James version, Updates English.
</UL>
<LI><b>1917</b>
<UL><LI>the Holy Scriptures: translated from Hebrew to English, using Hebrew scriptures(old testament) by Jewish scholars.
</UL>
<LI><b>1971</b>
<UL><LI>the Living Bible: English to English paraphrasing.
</UL>
<LI><b>1976</b>
<UL><LI>the Good News Bible: Uses modern syntax & meaning, not "archaic" Hebrew or Greek structure.
</UL>
</UL>

good html practice

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
I don't see anything wrong with a gender-neutral translation as long as it does not alter the message that we are all sinners, seperated from God by our sin, deserving of eternal punishment, but saved by God's grace through the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross and our subsequent acceptance of this gift as the sole means of our salvation.