Gameserver networking question....?

markjs

QuackHead
I have a 2 pc cat5 crossover cable network (10/100 NICs), that utilizes Internet Connection Sharing, and both PCs run Windows 2000 professional. What I need to accomplish is to get a gameserver running on the client machine. In order to keep the ICS working I absolutely must run with DCHP enabled, which means that my client machine is always having a new IP with every reboot. I had the server working on the client machine in Windows XP Professional (which for reasons I will not discuss here I will not be using anymore) and it required a network service to be set up on the gateway machine. With XP though, even with DCHP, the IP of the client was always the same, so in network services I had the port number, and the IP of the client dialed in, and with that the outside world could connect to my server. So what do I set as the client machines IP for the service if that is a variable? Can this work at all? I thought possibly a setting like 192.168.0.*.* might do the trick, but it seems not to....the last thing I tried was setting it to the current IP of the client but that didnt seem to work either. To illustrate what I mean if its confusing I took this screenshot:

Clipboard.jpg

I need expert advice! Thanks in advance!

rrfield

If you think the IP changing upon each reboot is the problem, then there are 2 things you can do to keep the IP the same while still using DHCP.

1) Limit the scope of the DCHP pool to only 1 IP address.

2) Reserve an IP from the DHCP pool for that machine. You will need the MAC address of the NIC on the client.

Either of these methods should give the client machine a quasi-static IP.

If you have any questions on how to do this, email me at [email protected]