File sharing issue in XP, Please Help!!

markjs

QuackHead
When I first set up my 2 PC home lan (crossover cable), with my 2 XP Pro machines, when I told it to share the hard drive on the network, it worked 100% (all folders were accessible). Recently though I had to re-install XP on one machine because I had to upgrade the hard drive, and ever since it will not allow either machine to access the other machines Program Files, or My Documents folders no matter what I do! I have spent a lot of time trying to get it to work properly again and with no success, even when I tell the machine to share the folder specifically. I am at wits end, please someone help!!! Thanks in advance.

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
My theory is, if you're starting up a home network and have two PCs to link up, eventually you're going to want to add a third, or foruth, or whatever, so you might as well grab a four-port hub and just use that from the beginning. :)
This means that I haven't ever tried cross-over networking so I can't help ya.. :az:

AcidWarp

I don't want to sound rude, but have you made sure the folders are shared? Have you checked the folder permissions on the machine you want to share, Do you have simple file sharing enabled or disabled?

In WinXP as in Win2k, when you are logged into a computer as an Administrator all hard drives are set up as an administrative share, you can't actually set permisions for sharing unless you disable simple file sharing (WinXP only, it's in the folder options, view tab) and create a new share for that drive. HOWEVER, you CAN share individual folders when logged in as an Admin. (by default, ALL XP users are admins). Try sharing only a folder or two and see what happens.