Enterprise

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
It's on tonight; someone watch it and report it yay or poo (of course, there are OBVIOUS reasons to watch) but my brain is fried after 2 days of no sleep. I'll catch the repeat over the week-end.

night night.:zzz:

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
It has potential. A little silly & the beautius Vulcan seems to be too emotional. but COOL SHIP

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
So...worth a watch even for the hooters then? I'll go in with an open mind.

(I figured something was posted like that so I avoided this thread at work. Kinda weird having literally 20-30 people who can read your screen from any angle behind you).

unclehobart

this is my special title
I am always baffled at how the writers can make all of the characters seem so !@#$% naive. Are these not experienced field service officers with several years under their belts? It seems as if everyone is befuddled at every little task and protocol. Not very military at all. It didn't seem like anyone knew what the hell they were doing or how to do it... cept for the doc. I got the feeling that every single member of the crew just stepped right out of a classroom and right into space totaly unprepared. These were senior bridge officers for crying out loud. They should at least be a bit salty by now.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
You know it IS the first vessel that Starfleet has commissioned and put out into space, right? One would think even the Captain is not entirely certain about what he'd be doing.

unclehobart

this is my special title
...with space trials for darn near a century leading up to it all. There still had to be a prior space navy even if it was nothing but small system boats that never made it past Jupiter. The Enterprise was the first major exploration ship, yes. Still doesn't explain why everyone seemed so very unmilitary. Choice assignments like that go to the overqualified geeks and hard assed career officers.

btw- why were the Vulcans so ... emotional? That threw me for a loop.

Gonzo

Staff member
Originally posted by unclehobart
[Bbtw- why were the Vulcans so ... emotional? That threw me for a loop. [/B]

That was my problem with the whole show. At least the Klingons were right.

br0ck

What gets me is, at their speed that they were going to Cronos to return the Klingon, it would of only took 4 days? I didn't realize that the Klingons were theat close. THere were going at Warp 4.3 when they mentioned that too.

unclehobart

this is my special title
:lurk: That was a serious bit of creative writers 'brush off' of reality in my eyes. In reality, travelling from Earth to the Klingon border takes the better part of 2 weeks at high warp. It would be more like 2 1/2 months at a paltry warp 4. Half again more to get to the Klingon homeworld. ..but that would all make for bad storylines. I'm just a stickler for the details.

Besides, If this is the first major Fed warship, they couldn't have done the kind of expansion that defined the UFP borders we all know from the Kirk era. They didn't know the Klingons existed. Even by using Vulcan starcharts they would have to cross quite a broad expanse of unknown just to get to the Klingon fringe. They could have used half a season just getting there.

If this is a supposed show about the infancy of the Federation, they seriously need to reel it back in to match the era.

Gonzo

Staff member
unc said:
Even by using Vulcan starcharts they would have to cross quite a broad expanse of unknown just to get to the Klingon fringe. They could have used half a season just getting there.

They don't want another Voyager disaster

:D

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Not bad for a first ep, but I think that theme song has to go, plus why was it in 'letterbox' format?

Gonzo

Staff member
Three episodes in & it need better writers. The potential is there, but something is missing. Looking back, TNG was pretty crappy the first 2 or 3 years, so maybe...

patweb

Eater of Hot Peppered Steak
>>Looking back, TNG was pretty crappy the first 2 or 3 years, so maybe...<<

In comparison the Farpoint episode of TNG was pretty well polished (better actors) and jumped right in to character development (like Riker/Troi relationship).

The Enterprise series actors are extremly raw in my opinion. It is just obvious that their lines are teleprompted and that they don't sound 'sincere'.

However, Scott Bakula in comparison has shown some pretty solid acting so far. T'Pol is also running her character 'ok' (who ever knew that Vulcan hooters looked so good). Also, there is SPECULATION that the doctor is Cardassian.....

They have spent almost no time (in three episodes) on character development, which is pretty important for them to fit into the ST universe properly.

I thought a couple of things were interesting-

#1 The captain having a dog on board and his frontier/ western attitude.

#2 The primary foe- the Suliban? Hmmmm... I know they started taping a long time ago but.......Suliban, hive mentality, etc... keep watching, seems like a few parallels to me.....

Oh, and having an enemy that issues 'orders from the future' smacks of that other UPN show (was it Nowhere Man or something) about the guy that lost his identity. It insures that the 'enemy' should always be one step ahead of the Enterprise (because they know the future).