Do you really think they will kill off AMD?

markjs

QuackHead
I didn't used to think so, but with the release of the 2GHz P4 I begin to wonder....What the hell is AMD waiting for? They must act and act now! It's sink or swim here! We need to see higher clocked Athlons or they will lose the battle entirely and fast! Everyone here knows that a 1.4 Athlon can beat a 1.8 in many things, but Joe Consumer just sees the numbers and if AMD can't produce numbers, they are done. I begin to think AMD as a chip maker, is on it's last legs, and it won't be long before we will be back to paying $1500 for our new P4 2.1GHz and a year later $2000 for our P4 2.2GHz. Does anyone really believe AMD can hold on?

flurff

you can't get much faster than around 1.6-1.7 ghz stably with the T-bird core, at least not on air.

They're preparing the transition to the palomino core (which IMO is totally wankable!)

that's part of why not a lot of new processors have come out of the AMD shelves

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I don't think they're losing ground. Much more the opposite. Here in this side of the world you see more and more AMD CPU's being sold every day. When Intel runs out of P3 I don't know what will happen to them.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
I doubt it. The Palomino and Morgan cores will be the saving grace, allowing AMD to compete with the average idiot through high clock speed as well as with the educated computer guru with actual performance (as they're doing now).

In any case, I hope to God not, I just bought 200 shares. :D