Dear Dr. Laura

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind then that Leviticus 18:22 clearly
stated it to be an abomination to the Lord.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how best to follow them.

A) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors: they claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

B) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 2:17. In this day and age, what do you think a fair price for her would be?

C) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness. (Lev. 15:19-24) The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

D) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female,
provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

E) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states that he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

F) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?
G) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of the Lord if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20 or is there some wiggle room here?
H) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean. May I still play football if I wear gloves?

J) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread. (It looks like some sort of cotton/poly blend.)
He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev. 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev 20:14.)

I know that you have studied these things extensively, so I'm confident that
you can help. Thanks.

Anxious in Canada

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
She's a real talk radio host flav, and she's a lunatic. She has quite a following too, but I'd like to think most of them are just laughing at her. She's real big on quoting from the Bible and taking things out of context as necessary to suit her misguided views.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
You gotta be kidding. Have you actually listened to that woman?

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
well, if you have faith in the bible, which you obviously do, you wouldn't appreciate her views

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Sorry to disappoint you Q but I listento her regularlly. She is a overboard on many things, however, there does need to be a line to cross & societally,(i made that word up) that line has moved too far from the center-Rush & Laura are extremists but so is NOW & GLAAD-

without the extreme, there can be no center

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
This should be interesting....

Ok, Gonzo, I agree... with out a left and a right there would be no center. I find it impossible to find any common ground with this woman. She seems prejudiced and condescending to me. She dismisses entire groups of people with a verse of scripture. I'll be the first to admit, I don't know the bible chapter and verse and I don't take what's written in it litterally. I don't think, however, any of it was ever intended to be a weapon. She convieniently forgets it's not her place to judge.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Ahh...memories

That sounded like a Wally rambling Q (orig post)! :D

Gonzo

Staff member
After 25 years of the same 5 stories I'd be condecending too. She doesn't use the bible to attack, only to prove her point(& yes it IS irritating).

re: her statement about gays (homosexuality is a biological error) hurtful as it may be, it is-(I don't want to start a war here, I have many gay friends) if nature intrended homosexuality to be the norm, none of us would be here. she never said "Bob the fag is a bio error", only the attraction to the same sex is an error in programming.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
nope sorry, not buyin that shit either....I don't think it's right or wrong to be gay any more than it's right or wrong to be male or female or black or white or <insert your own choice here> some things are decided before you're ever born. it's what you do after you're in a position to make choices that counts.

Gonzo

Staff member
NOBODY said right or wrong-hell, there's nothing wrong with being gay/straight, black/white, male/female, etc. some of the smartest people on the planet are one or more of the above-
in the bible it DOES say man laying with man is an abomination-however, an an atheist I can't agree on the morality of that statement. just the fact that I have read it.
The previous statement thread is a simple, unelegant & unrelenting truth-it takes a sperm & an egg to create life.
I am not judging the person nor the act-