DDR Memory

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
1600, 2100, 2700...is it backwards compatible? If I were to finally get a ddr mobo & could get the higher memory for use now & tomorrow it'll all work, right? example xxxx mother board uses 1600 & 2100 DDR RAM...if I get 2700 it'll still work in that board?

Just curious, for now.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the memory will just run at whatever the board tells it to. The only gain over buying the exact speed the board supports is that it might run cooler, thus last longer.

Gonzo

Staff member
is there a reason why it would run cooler at it's nominal clock speed as opposed to running cooler because it's running at a slower rate. sems backwards to me but what do I know?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
No, the faster memory, when slowed down to the speed the board tells it to run at, will run cooler at that speed than memory only rated to run at that speed.

Gonzo

Staff member
Then why would the memory last longer if it ran at nominal speed? Logic says you'd get longer life at lower temps & below spec. I'm not arguing, just confuse? :confused:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
You have a stick of PC2700 and a stick of PC2100. The board can only run ram at PC2100 speeds. When you stick the PC2100 ram in there, it will run at w temp and last for x days. When you stick the PC2700 in there, it will revert to PC2100 because the board only supports that speed. Because of the reduced speed, it will run at y temp (which is LOWER than w) and last for z days (which is HIGHER than x)

Get it now?

Justintime

Something
look at it this way, RAM built for 166Mhz but ran at 133Mhz should in theory last longer than ram built for 133MHz and ran at 133Mhz, since the RAM built for 166MHz is built for higher speeds and more heat production, or possibly even the same heat production at 166MHz as 133MHz@133MHz due to the fabrication process, it'll be cooler at 133.

Gonzo

Staff member
fury said:
The only gain over buying the exact speed the board supports is that it might run cooler, thus last longer.

fury said:
When you stick the PC2700 in there, it will revert to PC2100 because the board only supports that speed. Because of the reduced speed, it will run at y temp (which is LOWER than w) and last for z days (which is HIGHER than x)

That's what I was thinking until your first post. We agree but just had to get here.

AMDnut

Eee equals emcee squared...
Hey Gonz!

Another nice benefit of a higher clock speed memory is that you should be able to run the most aggresive memory timings your board offers. If your running 2100 on a 2100 board, the stability at CAS 2-2-2 may be less than if your running 3200 on a 2100 board using CAS 2-2-2.

Right now, Kingmax has some very good priced DDR400 (PC3200) rated for CAS 2.5. It should run CAS 2 on a 2100 or even a 2700 board pretty easy.... ;)

My .02 worth....