Damn, diagnosed with Chondromalacia Patellae

dimme

Hello everybody.

During the past six months I have been experiencing pains in my knee. I pretty much ignored it because it wasn't that bad, thought I was just overusing it and needed rest.
Rest didn't help and a little over a month ago I went to a doctor who told me that my knee-cap was a bit too low and I needed physical therapy.
The physical therapist diagnosed me with chondromalacia patellae (of the knee-cap) and the knee has gotten significantly worse during the past two weeks. The knee-cap basically sits a bit two low and rubs against the lower end of the thigh bone. Knee pads that keep the knee-cap in place help a little but not much and without the knee pad the knee feels broken and makes REALLY bad sounds. I just hope it gets better soon, it has only gotten worse. :(
I just wanted to share this with you, has struck me pretty hard :(

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Hope they can fix that for ya dimme. i got bum knees from catching for 6 years. its not fun.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Sorry to hear that, dimme. I've had major knee problems myself, so you've got my sympathy.

dimme

Thanks everybody

I went to buy one of those knee orthosis' today that the physical trainer told me to buy but it turned out that I have to wait for about a week until I get it. It gets worse every day I don't use one of those things. I'm afraid of having to do another MRI scan later. It has gotten SIGNIFICANTLY worse since the last scan, I can't even stretch the leg out fully without lots of pain or bend it without pain and crushing sounds. :(

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Owwie:scared:

Did the doc say anthing about doing surgery Dimme? They can do some pretty amazing things to fix knees now.

dimme

Q said:
Owwie:scared:

Did the doc say anthing about doing surgery Dimme? They can do some pretty amazing things to fix knees now.

No he didn't. I'm not sure what to do now. Wait until I get the orthosis or go to another doctor again and ask for another MRI scan. I'm going to talk to the physical therapist about another MRI scan. He is very surprised that I'm having so much pain.
And a surgery this time of year, it's pretty cold outside and I still have school. If I only miss some classes I will fall WAY behind. I'm pretty stuck in this :(

soniclos

Sorry to hear that Dimme. Just goes to show sports aint the only thing that bustes knees.

My right 1 is messed up from football (damn chop blockers), left messed up from being pinched inbetween two cars

dEaN

Hardware Reviewer
Neo said:
i got bum knees from catching for 6 years. its not fun.

No not at all. I have the same problem, but its getting pretty bad lately. Been playin catcher for about 9 years now. Got hit once pretty bad in the knee by a wild pitch too. Damn side-armers. Slow as hell pitch, but it got just the right spot.

Basketball hasn't helped any, but I've retired from any form of cometititive organized ball. Such a shame. I loved that sport, and I was a pretty damn good forward :(

Doing sprints last year in track really killed my legs. Gave me some bad shin splints, and only hurt my knees further. After a few weeks of that, I had to switch to distance, and I'm pretty glad I did. One of the best 800 runners at our school now :)

If there's one think I've learned in the past few years since its been getting really bad is that you can never ice too much. After icing all last year during track and this year during cross country (after practices), my knees have gotten much better. Still not good enough for basketball though. This will probably be my last year of baseball as well. Figure a nice even 10 years of being the best catcher in the league sounds good to me :) Once I hit 18, I'll go join some 16" (or 12" that's really fun) softball league as an outfielder or something.

I would say...just ICE A LOT and take an advil every once in a while. I take 2 advil before any race I have. Allows me to push myself that little bit further without pain :)