couldn't wait any longer

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
You have six...but you can only use 4 for standard USB operations. The other two are for PC-to-PC stuff that ONLY MSI uses...

alex

Wrong, oh Posty one :p

Let's take this one connector at a time.

There are two USB ports next to the PS2 connectors at the rear of the case (that's 2)

The USB2 connector has two rows of pins. One row has the two end pins missing and according to the pinout diagram for that connector, one end pin is GND and one end pin is VCC. The GND pin missing maybe insignificant because there is another GND pin next to it (in the same row). But the VCC pin missing cannot possibly allow that port to be used as a normal USB port.

There is no pinout diagram for the d-bracket connector so I cannot determine if it could actually be used as a normal USB connector. I'll have to try it out.

So, best case, I have 5 normal USB ports and 1 PC2PC port :D

Worst case, I have 3 normal USB ports and 1 PC2PC port :D

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Don't know man. Her's what your manual specifies though.

manual.jpg

Did you get both of the connectors with the system board or only one of them. There should be two. One with a large platic housing unit on the backside to it:

manual3.jpg

And one with two platic housing units on the backside of the bracket:

manual1.jpg

You can see, that they both have a PC-to-PC on them. Each also has one standard USB port it appears. Thus four standard USB headers and two PC-to-PC headers. Maybe I'm just reading this manual wrong, but MSI is not known for explaining things in a very clear way.

alex

I did not get the d-bracket cable (the one with the LED's). Apparently it is optional.

I did get the PC2PC cable (one type A and one type B port, looks like d-bracket cable w/out LED's) and I got a standard USB extension cable (two type A ports) which is not shown in the manual.

I'm just gonna have to play around with it and see what happens :D

alex

Basically, mobo's DOA and dieing shortly after purchase with no response by MSI. Here are the forums. It was mostly people bitchin about the K7T266.

Inky, do you understand what I've been talkin about here? How many USB ports does your mobo have?

Inkara1

Mine's a different model, a K7T Turbo, but it came with four. No PC-to-PC stuff. The LEDs for the D-LED are on the board itself, not on a USB port plate that attackes to a slot in the back.

That works fine for me since the position of the vents on the side of the case and the position of the LEDs line up perfectly, so that I can see them easier than I'd be able to with LEDs on the back.

alex

Yea, I don't need that PC2PC crap either since I have a router and nic cards. I would much rather have had the extra 'normal' USB port. I don't understand why MSI would go that route. I think the max length for a USB cable is like 15 feet. And I don't understand why the mobo came with this cable since I could only use it as one normal USB port anyway.

My mobo didn't come with that bracket with the LED's on it either.