Clean your optical mouse!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
:headbang:

I just cleaned mine

• It is now about 3x as accurate
  • The mouse wheel isn't so noisy and no longer "jitters" the document at random
  • The wheel button is easier to press and no longer sticks
  • It no longer randomly shuts itself off

I highly recommend you clean your optical mouse now! :headbang:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
:headbang: I just sent Logitech an email

In regards to your statement of never having to stop to clean the mouse here - http://www.logitech.com/lang/pdf/wheel_mouse.pdf - I just experienced the contrary.

In recent months of using my mouse, I have been experiencing erratic behavior of the mouse, such as document scrolling "jitters" without actually turning the mouse wheel, intermittent shutting itself off, an incredibly difficult wheel button click, and mouse pointer jitters without even moving the mouse. These symptoms all happened no matter whether I had it connected via USB or PS/2 and no matter surface I placed the mouse on (ranging from unfinished wood, finished wood, to a generic plastic/rubber mousepad, to a white piece of paper, to a cloth/rubber mousepad, and even denim jeans)

Today, I cleaned the mouse and every single symptom I just listed ceased to happen.

Therefore, your statement of never having to stop to clean the mouse is false.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Oh dude they are gonna show up and take your optical mouse from ya. then they are gonna leave you with a MS ball mouse. lol

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Did/does your Logitech ever jump off screen? I'll be doing something & suddenly I need to go look for my damned pointer. Really irritating. USB or PS/2 connection. :shrug:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
It did. Now it doesn't. I usually got that radar option put on there if it was being especially "jumpy" - Control Panel\Mouse\Pointer Options - Show location of pointer when you press CTRL

Taking it apart was easy. Cleaning it was hard. Putting it back together was even harder. (the mouse wheel especially... the spring popped out and I hadn't paid attention to how it went in, so I spent about 15 minutes figuring that out)

B

Bubba

i've only had one mouse jump off the screen like Gonz said. i took the ball out and cleaned the lint off the rollers. it worked like new again.

karlwb

I have two Optical mice, apart from the feet I haven't cleaned them.
I have M$ v2 & v3 Intellimouse explorer's, and would be a bit rekuctant to disasemble them.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
oooh, I just looked at my optical mouse, I'm quite sure it's supposed to be disposible if it gets real dirty....I ain't taking that thing apart.:scared:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Mine was pretty simple... easy to take apart, easy to put back together (once I got that mouse wheel spring back in there)

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
The only cleaning mine could use is someway to get this yellowish color off the top of the mouse itself. I guess it's the oil in your hands that causes that. Still kinda gross.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
eiw
that kinda sounds like a disposible issue too:sick::D

or perhaps a job for 409