Cheap PC from Dell -- Tech Briefs

S

s4

[QUOTEURL=http://www.suntimes.com/output/tech/cst-fin-eshorts30.html]
Breaking from its made-to-order tradition, Dell Computer Corp. launched a low-cost PC that comes in just one configuration, instead of many. Analysts called the SmartStep computer, available for $599 directly from Dell, an intriguing experiment during slow demand for personal computers and uncertainty about the economy's direction. The computer comes standard with a 1 gigahertz Celeron processor, 128 megabytes of RAM, a 20 gigabyte hard drive, a modem and a 15-inch monitor. Buyers can substitute the monitor for an integrated ethernet card. Dell plans to market the price--$18 a month for those who qualify for financing--to small businesses and consumers who might otherwise buy basic PCs from retailers, said John Hamlin, vice president of Dell's consumer division.
[/QUOTEURL]

Sounds pretty good for a cheap system. I can remember the days when 286's cost a grand to build...Progress I guess?

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
For a lot of people that would be a nice little system. Especially at that price.

I don't get the integrated ethernet card part though. Does that mean the mobo doesn't support a regular old $20.00 nic? Is there no slot? What if you wanted to switch from dial up to cable? Would you have to get a whole different mobo? I don't understand the substitute the monitor part.

S

s4

I wonder if that doesn't mean the card is built into the the motherboard somehow? You could add new cards to it because Dell is not as bad about being proprietary as say Compaq is one would think.

The company that makes Dell computers has a large effect on the computer marker pricewise. While Dell is promoting systems like this, prices will continue to be low. I think many companys have to keep their prices down just to keep up with Dell.