Ceiling paint question

flavio

superfly
Staff member
I'm moving and I'm in the process of painting my new living room. I'm painting the walls this cool blue color. I have trim that goes up about 2 feet from the bottom of the floor and also in the corners by the ceiling. It looks sorta like this:

1002874864062.jpg

except that the trim is different as I've explained. Anyway I got this mostly white semi-gloss for the trim. I started using it for the ceiling too, but I think it looks a little weird.

I'm not sure if I should get a third color for the ceiling paint with a matte finish or just use the trim paint.

I don't do this stuff too much.

sin2

That black leather sofa reminds me of Fantasy Girls VIP room in Reno.

We should go there sometimes.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
krusty is correct. If you buy paint especially for ceilings it is flat. I'm pretty sure the reason is because flat hides the imperfections the best.

I want to paint the ceiling in my lanai to look like a watercolor sunset. The ceiling has a very subtle texture to it though, so it might now work out. Could be multi colored one weekend and back to white the next.

AMDnut

Eee equals emcee squared...
Ceilings are always flat, usually an eggshell white. Most ceilings are as bright/clean a white as possible to reflect the light downward.

Most new homes don't even use paint, the "popcorn" stipple finish that requires no paint. Spanish lace ceilings require paint though as do flat, untextured finishes.

Your pic doesn't show up so I can't see what you have........

I've built 2 homes now and have done "popcorn" and Spanish Lace ceilings. Did my own painting as well as other things. Let me know what you have and I can try to help with roller types and such. Unless your gonna spray..........

flavio

superfly
Staff member
Damn Fury, what the hell are you bringing up a 4 month old post for? Now I have to replace the pic.

There....that's about what it looks like now.

br0ck

lol, i was going to run that pic through Photoshop and paint drop some different colors on teh ceiling to get a feel what that color would look like. But since fury is bored, i'll let him do it. :)