Cable modem Config manager

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
get the scoop on what the cable modem addresses are & such

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Ahhh. I thought that's what it was. Problem is, most routers have their own IP. My D-Link has a different IP that what yours uses. Linksys's crap uses a different IP for each of their so-called products.

Gonzo

Staff member
The router has a similar address, that's why I was surprised when I found this one. This is strictly for a cable modem.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I thought the ISP-supplied IP was the IP for the cable modem? :confuse3:

I get nothing when I enter that address.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
I think the router is assigning it one for the internal network. A 192.168.100.1 is an internal IP. Any 192.x.x.x is reserved for internal networks.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
That's gotta be a router. A cable modem attached to a single machine wouldn't have an internal (LAN) IP addy.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Yeah, I tried that when I was trying (sigh) to install a router to my bro-in-law's machine with a cable modem. Didn't really tell me much information other than uptime and some other useless information.

Needless to say that wireless M$ router still isn't installed. :(

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Really? The config on my DSL router works great (different LAN IP as this, but same principle). Allows you to disonnect, connect, acts as a DHCP server if you wish, allows IP range blocking, blah, blah, blah.

Are you sure you got all the way through the menus? I only ask becuase I missed a couple tabs my first time through. :retard:

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I'm just a big :bigtard: when it comes to these things. One stupid question I do have is how come there are no ip address or gateways listed under the nic settings? When I had dsl, I had to fill out almost every tab under the nic settings but when I looked at my bro-in-law's settings, there was nothing. Is cable always like that? The reason I ask is I'll probably have another goaround this weekend with that router...

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Normally, you do need to set that stuff up at the machine level. I set mine up that way (but I'm running DSL).

catocom

Machinehead
On my cable connection I use ICS with everything set
to default automatic, except when things don't pull up good
sometimes, in which case I plug in some server numbers
they gave me, into the DNS setting. (win2k)

My next door neighbor has a router on cable (linksys) that I setup for him.
I set it the same as my comp with ICS.
I think the only time you need to change it is to like run a game server or something.

rrfield

Huge, in response to your question, every network is setup different. The minimum you will usually need (from your ISP, either cable or DSL) is an IP address, subnet mask, default gateway and DNS server....but that's only if everything is static. Many ISP's (like mine, I have a cable modem from Insightbb in Bloomington, Indiana) go straight DHCP...they force all the addresses onto every device connected to the cable modem network (usually your home router, sometimes your home PC or PC's).

I know some DSL providers give you the option of getting either a static IP or a dynamic IP, the difference being that the static IP is public, where the dynamic IP is private to the DSL network. The private IP is harder to hack since it is behind a NAT firewall, but you cannot use VPN without a public IP.

My cable modem IP is dynamic (but I do get the same IP every time because Insightbb reserves IPs based on MAC addresses) yet public, which in my opinion is the best of both worlds since I don't have to remember all the IP addresses everytime the power goes out, yet I can still VPN into work or IU.

Gonzo

Staff member
HomeLAN said:
That's gotta be a router. A cable modem attached to a single machine wouldn't have an internal (LAN) IP addy.

It would have to have one. Otherwise, how do you or the service tech guy from the cable company set you up or service it later?

With a router, once the machine get's the IP, you can set it to static because it's always connected. If there is a power failure though, it may have touble reconnecting.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
A modem slapped into, say, a USB connection on one machine would simply be treated as a device, if I understand things correctly. No internal IP addy, as there is no LAN.

Of course, it would have an external (WAN) addy assigned by your ISP. As to how they'd set it up and service it, just like any other piece of hardware.

Now, a router functions as a switch, so you DO have a LAN involved. Now, you're dealing with two sets of protocols.

I've actually never hooked an external cable or DSL modem through an RJ45 port on a NIC, though. Everything I've ever dealt with as far as external modems hooking into one machine has been USB, so it's possible that I'm talking out my ass, here.