buildin a com for first time need input and amd or intel??

LiViNtOoLiVe

The man, thas rite THE MAN!!!!!!!!!
i never tried amd but with evryone and evryone else sayin that amd is so much better im thinkin bout switchin. im bout to build a com and this is wut i'm thinkin bout gettin now wut should i change? and if u say amd please offer a good mobo wit it. thx. by the way am i gettin a good deal on all these parts??? wuts ur input on all the parts and such thanks!!!!

Case and processor
New Egg ANTEC Mini Tower ATX Case Model SX630 with 300 Watt Power Supply 65.00

New Egg Intel Pentium 4 1.6A GHz 512K Socket 478 Processor 400MHz Processor Bus- RETAIL version

New Egg KINGSTON KVR800X16-8/128 RAMBUS 128MB 800MHZ NON-ECC – OEM 34.00

Atozpc.com ABIT TH7II INTEL 850 ATX MOTHERBOARD – RETAIL

Drives
CompUSA DiamondMax Plus 40GB, 7200RPM, Internal Ultra ATA 66 Hard Drive

House Of computers Artec 16X DVD-ROM IDE ATAPI

pcbuyerclub.com CyberDrive CD-RW X16X12X40 RETAIL BOX

New Egg PANASONIC 1.44 MB 3.5 INCH HIGH DENSITY FLOPPY DISK DRIVE, MODEL # JU-257A-827P - OEM, DRIVE ONLY

Cards

newegg.com Eagle 64MB GeForce3 ti220 ddr 64mb AGP TV-Out

ussa.com CREATIVE LABS AUDIGY MP3+ RETAIL BOX

New Egg Creative Modem Blaster V.92 PCI 56k Modem - OEM Version

Outside Components

New Egg Logitech Deluxe Access 104 PS/2 Keyboard - OEM Package

Best Buy Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical

Best Buy Sony Multiscan 17" Flat FD Trinitron® CRT Monitor

Our Win 98

thanks am i missin nethin? ands wuts ur inuput on evrythin i love xibase!:scared: :worm: :beerchug:

S

s4

You are going to pay a lot for shipping if you order from different places.

I have a suggestion to save money but you wont like it. Many people are buying Dell computers for $799 or whatever they are. They look like they could be a decent deal unless you want to pick and choose what goes in your system.

As for AMD or Intel, I just bought a barebones Athlon XP 1700 for less than $200. Unless you really need a fancy case and power supply, barebones are not a bad way to go. This thing is plenty fast enough to do anything I want with a computer. Sometimes spending a lot of money might get you quality components but you can have just as much enjoyment knowing you saved some money along the way. My mainboard is a ECS which was given good reviews at several major computer sites. I haven't had any problems with it so far.

I would not get a Maxtor hard drive. I am having problems with my 20 Gig that I bought last year and may have to rma it.

LiViNtOoLiVe

the whole poin tof it was to build a com fwer the first time so iom definetely goin to do that. as for barebone im up fer that but i would like to have one with intel 1.6 at least thx got ne suggestions?

S

s4

It is cool that you want to build your own, I was only telling you of how to save a few bucks.

You can find some great deals at pricewatch.com

Whichever mainboard you choose, be sure to look for reviews at some computer sites. I searched google and found quite a bit of info on the ECS board that I got.

A barebones Pentium 4 1.6 is going for $161 at pricewatch. These are oem components, and may have less of a warranty. If I were going to get one that was listed at pricewatch, I would definetly take a look at what they are putting in the system and probably not get the cheapest thing they have listed.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
You can get an excellent Athlon XP (1900+ which is 1.6 ghz) plus Soltek 75DRV4 plus 256 megs of PC2100 DDR for about the price of that Abit TH7, Pentium 4 1.6, and 128 megs of Rambus.

But that minitower case is gonna be a bit cramped. I recommend getting at least a midtower, SX1040 or a fulltower 1240 (I have that one, and it is an orgasmic pleasure to work with)

Other than that, it looks like a nice configuration. Good choice on the Geforce3 Ti200... these can often be overclocked to Ti500 speeds.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Stick with at least a mid tower case. The heat from either an AMD or Intel proc will cause heat issues (possibly serious ones) if you use a mini tower case. For me, it's the most bang for the buck. AMD over Intel.

AMD 1900+ XP, Gigabyte GA-7VTXE+, 256MB PC2100.

Justintime

Something
in this situation, where you have the choice of 2 1600Mhz processors, and do not want to overclock, definetly get the Athlon XP :)

Kruz

Staff member
My vote is Athlon..
And go with the biggest case you can get, you will be glad you did.

LiViNtOoLiVe

i've been thinkin today, about gettin a barebone. it comes out much cheaper and i was wonderin on how stable the amd's are?
and why would the amd's be so much cheaper than the intel:D, there must be a reason. maybe not. neone could suggest a nice barebone intel or amd. im still decidin on which one to get:confused: . i was very disappointed when i picked the barebone because those are the 3 steps i dint do yet, install a cpu,heatsink and motherboard. i mainly wanted to do these 3 cuz i dint do them yet but whatever.:( i guess ill live wit it. well what bout the other parts? what u think bout them. thanks! and i love xibasE!! just wish there were more users. thanks! bye!:D

LiViNtOoLiVe

Gonzo said:
LTL said:
why would the amd's be so much cheaper than the intel

Intel pays blue guys to dance to TV, AMD doesn't:shrug:
ylol very well put i guess ill go fer the amd since every person that sez intel gets 50 ppl that say amd is better. lol thanks for the advice, i thnk im gonna completely redesign with a barebone amd. wuts the athlon XP im a noob to amd. and wuts up wit the weird model numbers? thanks!!!!!:beerchug:

ill put new specs up tonite wit references to where im buyin and how much and what reviews sed that part is good. thanks!!!!!!!

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Your simply paying more for Intel and getting equal or less performance. RAMBUS is WAY over rated and more expensive. DDR is coming out in speeds that SLAP a P4/RAMBUS based system in the face. Another thing to consider is something fury posted about a while back. What software out there does a 1+ GHz system really need? Nothing. Anything over a GHz is fast period. I can about guarantee that my 1.2 will be fast enough for me for the next two or three years. Software is notoriously behind hardware, but the hardware is coming out at faster and faster speeds now. The only thing that may require more speed is games and even then it's in the video primarily. Right now I have a GeForce 2 MX 200. If I buy a GeForce 3 or 4 Ti, that alone will run anything I throw at it. Maybe my fps are a little behind right now, but increasing the video would do more for me than the proc would...if that even helped at all. I think that proc speed is, at this point, a overrated aspect of computers. The sub system is more important for the enjoyment. Sound, video and motherboard architecture. Remember...PCI STILL runs at 33MHz. :D

LiViNtOoLiVe

they should come out wit a new connection system for sound cards like how vid cards have agp!! that would be so cool! but sound is about as good as it gets wit sound blasters rite now so hey!!!!!:snooze: :whip: :scared: :worm: :eek2: :spin: :cry2: :sick: :beerchug: :eh: :cry:lol

LiViNtOoLiVe

s4 said:
A barebones Pentium 4 1.6 is going for $161 at pricewatch. .
i checked pricewatch and i couldnt find any wut did u search under thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: i got it thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

S

s4

It's under PC-Kits. The direct link is: http://www.pricewatch.com/1/235/4666-1.htm

About installing a motherboard and cpu...I installed a heatsink on my Athlon XP 1700 and almost had a nervous breakdown. I've built many computers in the past, but knowing that I could easily crush a $100 cpu made me very nervous.

I installed a Coolermaster HHC-001 heatsink and fan on cpu. The heatsink looks like it is solid brass. I got my barebones from compubuzz.com that came without a heatsink and fan. I got the heatsink/fan from kdcomputers.com

Getting a barebones is not all that bad. I got a ECS K7S5A motherboard with my barebones.

You can get an Athlon XP 1900 barebones starting at around $181 which is a very fast computer. The main thing to be concerned about is the cooling and the motherboard that you select. The direct link is: http://www.pricewatch.com/1/235/4246-1.htm

Again, these are listed under the PC - Kits link at pricewatch.com

LiViNtOoLiVe

thank you very verey much, i decided to go wit a barebone amd xp 1900+ but i dont kno which one, ne1 suggest any or ne mobos or cases??thanks again
u ppl at xi rule!!!!!!!!!!

S

s4

Make sure you get at least a midtower case and at least a 300 watt power supply.

The motherboard I chose is not bad. The link is: http://www.ecsusa.com/k7s5a.cfm

I think it will work with an XP 1900, mine is an XP 1700.

Here are some links/reviews on the board:
http://www.amdmb.com/article-display.php?ArticleID=112
http://www.ocprices.com/index.php?command=view&ID=966
http://www.techwatch.com.au/reviews/hardware/ecs_k7s5a/
http://www.ocworkbench.com/hardware/elite/k7s5a/k7s5ap1.htm
http://www.tweakmax.com/html/k7s5a/k7s5a-1.cfm

If you want to spend more on a board then I suggest looking at brands like Asus, IWill, and Abit.

LiViNtOoLiVe

when i was goin fer the abit th7 when i was goin fer pentium 4. but now that im goin for amd xp 1900+ i dont know where to go :confused: . i would prefer a asus or abit. so anybody got any suggestions thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
The Abit AT7 looks like a nice board. Up to ATA133 on the IDE bus, HPT 374 RAID on-board, and supports up to PC2700 DDR RAM.