Bitching

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
So, I get a copy of W2K(thank god for Ind U, it was $5.oo), put in in, find out many of my programs won't run with it, so I uninstall & return to 98SE. To damned many blue screens, I'll live without a few things & try to re-install 2K. I spent virtually all of May 2001 installing & re-installing OS's because 2K WILL NOT go back in, and I don't want to live without my toy. Finally, on 06/02/01 @ 1AM, it occurs to me to partition @ less than 8GB. It works (hallelujah). Now, where the hell is my other 18 1/2 gigs? All the upgrades from MS & there it is. So now, I've got a good running copy of 2K(after about 5-6 bad install trials) I wanna know one thing-when is MS going to make a GOOD OS that installs when, where & how you tell it without some crap about registering being a formal demand. I'd like to try Linux but don't have the 2nd machine to learn on. I want a simple, yet elegant, OS that isn't full of bugs, is that asking too much? Apparently so...........

K

krusty

Win2k is extremely fussy, I had a hell of a time installing it first off, had to pull every card except my graphics card to get a clean install.

After that I installed them all one at a time and had 2k do its thing... I've had no problems since.

Linux was scary for me as a dual boot, 2k and Corel did battle for boot priority...lol... Corel won.

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
I think I'm gonna have to give Linux a go soon.. :)

In fact I'll even have most of the parts.. will just need a cheapo celery.. :p

S

s4

Postcode:

Why did you use a digital camera to take screen shots? I'm sure there are some screen capture utilities that will produce quality pictures of the screen without using a camera.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Your using the wrong Linux distro for dual booting. RedHat and Mandrake will both see the Windows partition, create the stanza for it, add it to lilo for you and let you name whatever you like (by default it names it dos). When you boot, type in linux for Linux and dos for Winders at the LILO prompt.

Just took some pictures of the Redhat 7.1 GUI install but they came out rather crappy. This Fuji 1200MX dosen't like to take pictures unless it can use the flash, which blacks out the screen. Going to try again with the Olympus camera...got the text mode install pictures all done up and ready to go though.

Corel used it's own little proprietary filesystem and actually hindered a user in a lot of areas, in particular, adding stanzas and hardware to the system. Once Corel was on, it didn't like to be touched. Drake and Redhat are simply great. Beautiful GUI install, saw all my hardware and loaded just great.

More soon.

glussier

HI ALL,

Sorry to be bitching too. Corel uses the same ext2fs filesystem as Mandrake and linux and Suse and etc.... If your xwindow environment is KDE you might want to give kcapture a try. Here is my laptop desktop with kcapture showing (you can make it invisible if you want to) sorry about the french desktop :):

fe6f97b4.jpg

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by glussier ]

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I'm probably mistaken, but it's pretty difficult to take a picture of an OS install unless you're running some sort of emulation utility and you take a screenshot of that

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Depends on which OS.. Windows doens't have a problem..

.. but since this isn't Windows.. .. . I'm moving this topic.. :D

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Second post here, as the first one didn't show up. At least I'm not seeing it. Anyway, I had to use a camera as I was loading the OS at the time. I don't know of any utility that can take screen shots while the OS is being loaded. I got the text screen shots for KSnapshot while loading the OS through a VMware session, but I could never get VMware to load Linux through anaconda. If there is a utility out there that will work while I'm installing the OS, let me know.