Big SETI rig. How much Huge?

iwajabitw

Dual i7 board, but what graphics card? Crazy to think I can have 12-15 wu processing at the same time. What price wise am I looking at, $1000 maybe? I have 13 systems going now, but it looks like I could build 1 that would equal all of them.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
There's a thread in one of the forums that list how all the gpu's rank (but seti's site is down :( )

Remember you'll have to free a core per gpu; otherwise it'll be starved for data. If I wasn't running gpugrid, I'd have 10+ cores & a gpu so 11 total.

iwajabitw

Damn, im thinking the utility cost for may powersupplies to run 12 systems would be cut way down with just a few rigs. The cost would balance out after a while... I have P4's up and running...even Celerons...

iwajabitw

If Seti's site ever comes back up have a look at my profile at what I have up...see what I might be able to do

Professur

Mushroom at large
I just dropped Seti onto one of my lab bench machines. Looks like they don't count units like they used to.

Professur

Mushroom at large
But they converted them to whatever units they use now. I'll never make my 1000WU now.

Dug about ... 729 old units. Let's see if they update that when this unit finishes

Last edited:

iwajabitw

Yeah the old system is gone. You'll probably make 1000 in a day to a week easily with the new one though. Averaging 8k-12k a day depending on size and whether or not I get any astropulses to process. Started back in August, 1000 or so classic units, now have over 500k..with the new wu. I'm running a lot of old hardware though on some machines, but they have nothing better to do. Should have another core 2 duo up in the next few days. Would love to have some i7's on running.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
The problem with seti today is they give you like a 3 year deadline to complete the unit. Not only that, someone else downloads the same WU so they can verify the data when they return it. The problem a lot of times is that person will stop crunching for whatever reason and you have to wait until the deadline passes before it goes to someone else.

I think I still have WUs from June that haven't been verified :mad:

iwajabitw

So they have set up a redundancy? Thinks that has something to do with those hacks, from 10yrs ago that were getting Wu credits but never actually processing the work? Think I remember it being that someone found a way to get the command line to just skip to finished, giving the user credit, but all of these units out there and SETI got wise or tipped off it was happening.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
So they have set up a redundancy? Thinks that has something to do with those hacks, from 10yrs ago that were getting Wu credits but never actually processing the work? Think I remember it being that someone found a way to get the command line to just skip to finished, giving the user credit, but all of these units out there and SETI got wise or tipped off it was happening.

Oh yeah, forgot about that.