Becoming Human

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
*stumped*:confused:

re: the rest-Catholocism has accepted the very real possibility of evolution & that it is allowed to fit in Gods plans. Are the other churches accepting of that also? If so, what's the big hullabaloo about teaching it in school? Because of the many different faiths, we can't & shouldn't allow church into state matters, but why not evolution? It is a sound & plausible theory of our collective past and, when need be, it can also be explained along with, not necessarily in contrast to, religion, by the parents.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
I have an interesting book, if you care to read it out of curiosity, called "The Case for Christ". It was written by a former journalist / self - proclaimed athiest whose wife became a Christian. He decided to use his journalistic skills to investigate the "cult" she had joined in hopes of de-programming her and in the process became a Christian himself. The book is about his spiritual journey and the questions he asked and found answers for. It is yours if you will read it.
:-)

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Gonzo said:
*stumped*:confused:

re: the rest-Catholocism has accepted the very real possibility of evolution & that it is allowed to fit in Gods plans. Are the other churches accepting of that also? If so, what's the big hullabaloo about teaching it in school? Because of the many different faiths, we can't & shouldn't allow church into state matters, but why not evolution? It is a sound & plausible theory of our collective past and, when need be, it can also be explained along with, not necessarily in contrast to, religion, by the parents.

Personally, I do not dispute that life does evolve. What a brilliant design to make man, animals and plants adaptable to the environment in which they exist. I believe evolution can co-exist with creationism to an extent. I cannot accept that we (man) evolved from apes because the Bible indicates that man was set apart from the other creatures of creation by being made in God's own image, that is to say that we have an eternal element within us called a soul. Therefore, we cannot have come from an animal but we certainly could have evolved over the centuries both physically and intellectually.

Unfortunately, there is a tendancy for "religious" types to automatically discount the notion of evolution because of the stigma that it holds for man being evolved from apes.

The question I keep comming back to is not, what did we evolve from, but rather how did "LIFE" come into being? The only answer I have that has any possibility is the supernatural power of God.

Gonzo

Staff member
"LIFE" is just a series of chemicals, along with their responses to each other. Mutations of that matter are what makes the evolutionary traits. Just as the universe is expanding, so are the mutations. The DNA of a fern & a dog & a human are incredibly similar. Mutations seperate into an ever evolving & improving set of species. Unfortunately I'm not a biology major, so my understanding is rather limited regarding such matters.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
So did you hear the one about Adam talking to God about what he wanted in a "perfect" mate? He says to God, she has to be beautiful, attentive, an affectionate lover, kind and forgiving. God says to Adam, "OK, but that'll cost you an arm and a leg!" So Adam says, "OH... well... what can I get for a rib?" And the rest is history!!!:grin:

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Gonzo said:
"LIFE" is just a series of chemicals, along with their responses to each other. Mutations of that matter are what makes the evolutionary traits. Just as the universe is expanding, so are the mutations. The DNA of a fern & a dog & a human are incredibly similar. Mutations seperate into an ever evolving & improving set of species. Unfortunately I'm not a biology major, so my understanding is rather limited regarding such matters.

I disagree, take a mouse and suffocate it! In the instant after it's life ceases, it is a pile of those chemicals and nothing more. There is something magical that causes that nickels worth of chemistry to be alive and kicking. Then beyond life itself there is the mystery of what seperates man from animal!? That is the soul, the eternal element within each of us, this is also God given.

Gonzo

Staff member
Science can, I, however, can't, explain the basis of the reactions which form life. So, for once, I'll not bullshit my way through it.:D

What is the theological explanation of all the "missing link" fossils that have been found in the last few decades? They are beyond ape & below homo sapien, so how do they fit in the equation?

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Not sure, don't really know enough about this to argue intelligently but can say that the Bible refers to ancient races of beings that where extinct by the time of the Old Testament writings. Perhaps, they are one of those or just an over-evolved ape or under-developed human.?

Gonzo

Staff member
#2900...I need a life...spring is coming, maybe I can go outside & garden for awhile..this is making my brain hurt...

Face it Winey, better brains than ours have argued this for centuries & nothing has been resloved (at least while still in an animated state) God may or may not be, the universe in truly too large to comprehend & the past is still a mystery. All we can do is keep on pushing forward & stop to smell the roses ocassionaly.

As for the book, let me find time to read the other 20 on my list, 4 of which are started & yet to be finished-yea, I'd like to read it.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Gonzo said:
#2900...I need a life...spring is coming, maybe I can go outside & garden for awhile..this is making my brain hurt...

Face it Winey, better brains than ours have argued this for centuries & nothing has been resloved (at least while still in an animated state) God may or may not be, the universe in truly too large to comprehend & the past is still a mystery. All we can do is keep on pushing forward & stop to smell the roses ocassionaly.

As for the book, let me find time to read the other 20 on my list, 4 of which are started & yet to be finished-yea, I'd like to read it.

I have resolved this argument in my own mind and found peace from the discovery. Now I just try to share what I have found with those around me since it is God's desire that none perish in Hell and He has commissioned all Christians to spread this truth to all who will listen. Besides, Heaven will be more interesting with Gonzo than without him!

unclehobart

this is my special title
Most people can't handle the greater pressures of the realization that life just is and find a certain measure of comfort in claiming concepts like karma, religion, destiny, superstition and collective mental and social identity groupings to give them a measure of power or transcendence above and away from the menial rummagings of daily existence.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
PostCode said:
If we all were created by this God, then who or what created it?

God has no beginning and no end, no physical form which we can comprehend. That is one of the reasons that He is diety in the highest.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
So God just happened to be here before everything else...just appeared out of nowhere. No way. Something can't emerge from nothing. Everything has to be created in some way. The notion that God created the universe to me is very far fetched. God couldn't create something unless something created him. He himself had to be created.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
Here's how it all went down:

In the begining there was only chaos. Then out of the void appeared Erebus, the unknowable place where death dwells, and Night. All else was empty, silent, endless, darkness. Then somehow Love was born bringing a start of order. From Love came Light and Day. Once there was Light and Day, Gaea, the earth appeared.
Then Erebus slept with Night, who gave birth to Ether, the heavenly light, and to Day the earthly light. Then Night alone produced Doom, Fate, Death, Sleep, Dreams, Nemesis, and others that come to man out of darkness.

Meanwhile Gaea alone gave birth to Uranus, the heavens. Uranus became Gaea's mate covering her on all sides. Together they produced the three Cyclopes, the three Hecatoncheires, and twelve Titans.