Are your Online friends as important as your IRL friends?

So? Are they?

• I don't have IRL friends

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I don't have Online friends

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I prefer online buds to my IRL ones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I prefer my IRL friends, this is 'just' the internet

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • About Equal

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

MrBishop

Felix Culpa
I have lots of friend IRL...my yearly BBQ proves taht to me, just in the bills alone, and I also have lots of online friends, which my email box and MSN contacts shows easily.

I'm unlikely to meet most of my online buds, mostly because of the rules of Geography and Accounting (I can't afford to fly to Australia, Japan, Ohio etc...all that often), but I find that my online buds are as important as those I do see IRL.

What do you think?

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I'd say I care about them equally. Though you do have certain limitations with OL friends that don't allow the same relationship...

greenfreak

It's a good time to ask because I think we're all questioning that right about now. In the beginning, they were too important; I let the negative aspects get to me and affect my non-online life. That was bad. So I made some changes, took breaks, left boards, and found myself in a better place.

I admit I still get swept up in emotions sometimes but only because I give a little of myself to my online friends that they may not realize. And when my trust is betrayed or I'm shunned or insulted, it does hurt a little. But that is in no comparison to what I would feel if my best friend IRL did those things.

I really thought I'd be more angry with Justin for this but I guess I'm getting desensitized to the online world and the people in it. Good in some ways, bad in other ways. I'm just feeling a bit of betrayal and pity right now. :shrug:

nalani

blahblahphreakingblah
There are some people online that I genuinely care about. There are others that I could give a flying *beep* about. I have learned a valuable lesson at the BB's of late - be careful of giving your heart and your trust so easily and whom you regard as a friend. Guard your heart and your feelings very closely because, the sorry fact is that, many of them don't care about you and when the opportunity presents itself, they make it known.

Those of you that I do care about, I'm sure you know it.

freako104

im a freak im so proud of that
theyre about the same for me. I care about everyone I consider a friend either on or offline and I hope that they care about me too

Argus

I used to think online friends were important, sadly that has been dis-proved many times... and by some here.
Those who use the forums as a medium to bolster their low self esteem by back stabbing and playing one friend off against another.
I would stand by my words and attitudes online as much as IRL, at least in the real world you can look into a person's eyes while they're telling you shit.

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
I hold some of my online friends very near and dear to my heart. Some others are just there, fun to talk to but don't hold a particular place in my heart. Then there are the very select few whom I almost think of as family :) You know who you are ;)

Argus

leslie said:
you're that crotchety in person, too, Argus?! :eek2:

:p

Are you really that smug in person too, leslie :eek2:

I guess you guys really need a feel good post to help you through the day, rather than the truth.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Argus said:

I would stand by my words and attitudes online as much as IRL, at least in the real world you can look into a person's eyes while they're telling you shit.
On the other hand it's easier not feel hurt when you can't see others in person. Or at least it should be. That's why I don't take insults that seriously on internet. I always wonder if that person would tell me that thing face to face aswell. If I think not, I won't loose my time arguing over that.
Also you have to keep in mind that nobody's perfect and you can, in fact, end hurt of betrayed, even out of purpose when dealing with people you do not know...

kuulani

I trust and value the opinions of friends I've made online just as much as IRL ... even though I've never heard their voices and "weird" accents before ;)