Anyone that wants to help the Red Cross look here

S

s4

Their website is located here: http://www.redcross.org/

They have links on that page telling how to donate.

---------------

Mods and Admins: I feel this is important enough to keep at the top of the forum, so please do not unstick this post for a while.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
I donated through the Amazon website, but this was a good idea. I would encourage anyone NOT to donate in response to emails you may recieve. I have already heard of people trying to take advantage of the situation to collect credit card numbers by that way.

S

s4

Yes be careful of people that scam trying to look like they are donating the money but are really keeping it themselves. The links I posted have real addresses and links that are not phoney. Just be careful to make sure it really does go to the intended charity. There are creeps out there that don't care.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Play it safe-donate to the Red Cross directly. They need cash, there is an overabundence of goods & volunteers at this point.

S

s4

Here is the actual address that I copied and pasted from that link:

American National Red Cross
430 17th St NW
Washington, DC 20006

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I should be making a donation some time today after I get my monitor and RAM ordered

If my calculations are correct, I'll have around $35 left to give them :cool:

I'd donate blood, but I'm sick. It would kinda be defeating the purpose if someone received the blood of a sick person :rolleyes:

S

s4

A little from everyone goes a long way. You don't have clean your pockets out to contribute. I gave some yesterday and will probably give a little more as time goes on.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I just want to share a little story I have about the Red Cross.
In 1985 I lived in the panhandle of Florida. We got clobbered by hurrican Elana. I lived very close to the water and this hurricane moved in fast. There was little time to evacuate. There was no time to protect any material possessions. By the time we were allowed to go back home there were no possessions left to salvage. Water had been waist deep in my house for probably most of the storm. Salt water. Stand up right now and see how much of what you own is below your waist. (assuming you live in a one story dwelling, as we did) Some things could never be replaced...photo albums, high school year books...but the Red Cross was there, they had shelters and hot food for people whose homes had been completely destroyed. They provided vouchers for furniture stores and grocery stores and clothing stores, they provided rent to move for people who were forced to do so. SBA (small businsess administration) and SCORE( service corps of retired exectives) were there to provide low interest loans to people who lost businesses. All organized by the Red Cross.
This is a first class organization. I hope anybody in a position to do so will donate to them.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I could only donate $7 :cry2:

The monitor was quite a bit more expensive than I would've preferred

Better than $0 I guess

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
$7.00 is cool flurf :thup:

...and I'm delighted you finally got a new monitor.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
It beats the hell out of $0.00, Fury, I'd imagine the people on the receiving end appreciate it. :thup:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
That's all I was concerned about was getting something to the people that needed it.

The minute I get any more money, it's going to the Red Cross :wave:

*crosses his fingers and hopes for $20*

S

s4

Their website is located here: http://www.redcross.org/

They have links on that page telling how to donate.

I edited my original post and put this link in it in place of the first one that I found.