Anyone out there got the Volcano 7?

Wonga

I should be getting my Volcano 7 cooler in the next few days, along with an XP1800+. Does anyone out there use one of these coolers? Does it do a good job? Any trouble fitting it? Oh, and does it get very loud as soon as you start playing a game or run Seti@home or something, due to the temperature controlled fan? I hope not! :D

S

s4

I have a Coolermaster HHC-001 that has the same 7000 rpm fan. It is very noisy. If the Volcano is as heavy as the one I have then it weighs about 1 pound and is very nerve racking to install. The temps are good, but you have to put up with a lot of noise from the fan.

Wonga

The Volcano 7 has an 80mm fan, that goes up to 5000RPM (I think) when the case temp goes over 35degC. I think it is the Volcano 6Cu+ that has a 7000RPM fan.

But, you've got me thinking about the installation. I think I am gonna have to take it nice and easy. This will be only my second Socket A heatsink installation, and it scares me every time.

Kruz

Staff member
If your looking for maximum cooling, and not worried about noise.. take the resister out and run it full power..
If you want to keep your sanity, and are not going to overclock, leave it the way it is..

This is taken from the review at Overclockers.com

If you were expecting the 80 mm fan to magically give low noise and high performance, well, it doesn't work like that. It takes 5000 rpm to get the Volcano 7 humming, and even at that speed its performance is outside of what we would call acceptable (C/Ws of 0.32 or better). Even on forgiving motherboards such as the Iwill KK266+, it just about makes it.

The Volcano's copper disc is both a strong point (great thermal characteristics) and weak point (how good is the copper-aluminum joint?).

CONCLUSIONS
If you want low noise, the Volcano 7 at its lowest setting will be fairly quiet, but at the expense of performance. If you want performance, expect noise levels about the same as a Delta 38. The temperature controlled feature is not a plus and I consider it a negative, although easily defeated.

Wonga

Thanks for the replies people. All is working ok, writing on the machine now. Took me about 5 minutes to get the heatsink on, but what's the fun without a little pressure? (pun intended). It is a bit noisy at the moment, but I think that is cos the case temp is around 33degC. Perhaps it will be quieter in the morning :D

Kruz

Staff member
Thats an old pic.. I have done my spring cleaning in there.
Looked like a midevel castle in there after running all winter:)