Anyone looking for new video card?

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I'm not sure what path I must follow.
I use to stick with mainstream cards, because you lose less investment($) when they get outdated. I was waiting for the GF 6200 to come out in AGP form, but after some reviews I don't know if it's worth.
I was thinking of a mid-range cost model instead. Here what I could dig on net:
Chaintech GF FX 5700 Ultra R$ 786
MSI GF FX 5900 VIVO Pro R$ 805
MSI Radeon 9600 XT R$ 639
Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128 bit R$ 698
Sapphire Radeon X600 Pro OEMR$ 598

I'v read several reviews stating the MSI 9600 XT perfomance to be faulty, inferior to the 9600 Pro. Also the 128 bit 9800 has low data transfer rate :erm: Would that sacrifice the overall perfomence?
And the X600 didn't impress me at all. I guess the 5900 Pro would be the obvious path, but is this chip cool?
Any insights would be apreciated. I put the values in Real as a comparision matter, because converting to dollar wouldn't make sense at all (Us$ 1 = R$ 2.8 today)

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
I've gotta say that over the past couple years. ATI chips seem to have surpassed NVidia in both performance and driver support (where ATI used to fall on its face). NVidia is becoming more fo a chipset manufacturer, and ATI has continued its focus on graphics.

Within ATI cards, I swear by Sapphire. I've installed several, use one myself, and have never had an issue.

I believe I'd go with the 9800 you've got up there, although there's nothing wrong with the X600. If you end up going with the X600, make sure it's AGP. A lot of those cards are actually PCI Express, and I'd hate for you to get it and find it wouldn;t fit in your mobo.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Yeah, I realized just after I posted it was a PCI-X one. Anyway the X600 features didn't stand for much... It will be a great mainstream card however, way betterthan the GF 6200

HeXp£Øi±

bloody
When it comes to pure performnce it really depends on exactly what you'll be doing with it. Nviidia has gained a lot of ground over the past year. From the cards you listed i would go for the 9800pro for overall performance, dependability and value. Both the GF FX 5900 VIVO Pro and the 9800pro run hot but both are a step above the other cards you listed.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I bought the ATI Radeon 9800Pro. Spent a bunch of money & haven't been the least bit impressed (cost vs performance). My Ti4200 was 70% of this card & cost less than half as much. nVidia for me from now on.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
I ended up with a Sapphire 9600 XT. For R$ 569, it's cheaper than the MSI, and performs better too. I wish I had money for a GF 6600 GT, but the new year took its toll on my savings :(