Anyone have linkage to the Unreal Performance Test 2002?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Dang. I was hoping it would also link to the actual Test file(s). I've seen a couple of vid card reviews that are using the Test in addition to Q3 in benchmarking.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
It's an early version that game companies send to hardware vendors to test with their hardware to see how it performs.

[quoteurl=http://www.shacknews.com]Mark Rein (Epic) made quite a lengthy post on one of the UT community forums. He talks about the recent commotion about the leaked Unreal Tournament 2003 "demo".

A leaked early test version of UT2003 is floating around the internet. It is not representative of the quality or performance of the final game. [...]

He continues to address some topics brought up by forum participants:

I think the closest we came to guessing (and yes, it was still just a guess) was that the demo would be out around the end of E3 or a few weeks after that. So far we're still "a few weeks after" E3 and working furiously to get the demo out as soon as possible. There are few big things we're still tinkering with such as the server browser.
[...]
The version of the game out there (the "leak") is missing a whole bunch of features. It has mediocre performance, lacks a ton of AI code, has unfinished levels, doesn't have Karma physics in it, has unfinished menus, lacks a ton of sound effects and music, has unbalanced, untweaked weapons, and generally is indicative of something still too early to even be called "beta". Perhaps knowing this will discourage the real fans and customers from obtaining this version and tainting their initial impressions of UT2003.
[/quoteurl]

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I haven't really; the game will be out probably at the end of the month. Jedi Outcast is keeping me busy for the moment. :)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I got it. The performance is pretty crappy, but it's a pretty slideshow. As Mark eluded to, the thing is still way from being the demo that Epic wants to officially release, including performance tweaking (from what I experienced of it, gonna need a miracle to get it to run on what was once a top of the line T-bird 1.33 w/ a Geforce2 64mb), weapons balancing (the rocket launcher and what I assume to be the sniper gun are both way too weak and take too long to fire), AI enhancements, and the like.