Another Pentium lover just turned AMD!!!

Yo,

Just wanted to say that I just turned into an AMD Lover. I'll never go back to Intel. I had no idea how much of a bad a$$ processor an Athlon is. I just bought an Athlon XP 1800+ (1.53GHz) and it BLOWS AWAY the Pentium4 1.7GHz boxes I have a work. What a difference.

Long live AMD

Later dayz,
-B4TMANN :)

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Most customers who test drive an athlon buy an athlon.

Things may change later, but right now AMD is the only way to go.

S

s4

AMD really stands for Appreciated Meticulous Distinction or at least that's what some guy that uses big words told me.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I thought AMD stood for Excellent Kickass Better than Intel anyday Processor:bigtard:

LiViNtOoLiVe

The man, thas rite THE MAN!!!!!!!!!
u may have seen my thread already buildin com for first time need help intel or amd?. on that i decided to go with p4 but now im confused. i choose p4 because ppl sed amd isnt compatible with everything and that the amd chip is very delicate and easy to break. i dint wanna break a chip on my first buildin com but wit ur new convert and more everyday im confused again(if u read my thread ull see that alot). anyone got a list of pros and cons for amd and intel since ur colt seems to be pretty big u gotta have a reason. lol. thanks!!!!

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Compatibility problems for AMD ended after the very, very first Athlon processor. Those days are long gone.

Yeah, the core is easier to break than, say, a Pentium 3, but if you're careful, you have no reason to worry. Putting down equal force on the heatsink, allowing it to be supported by the pads while installing it will ensure that you don't crack or crush the core. If you don't have a steady hand, like me, or are just afraid that you'll accidentally shift it to one side and end up crushing it, and you want extra insurance that that won't happen, pick up a spacer designed for AMD processors and put it on top of the CPU before installing the heatsink. The spacer will make absolutely sure that the weight of the heatsink is not all put down on the core and the pads. That way, you can't possibly crush the core. If it's a conductive spacer, it can even help cool your package....CPU package, you sick bastard...because some of the heat gets trapped on that surface and it has nowhere to distribute the heat because it's not in contact with the heatsink, only the CPU is. With a conductive spacer, it takes some of the heat off the surface and transfers it to the heatsink.