An observation

PuterTutor

Ok, started running Seti a couple weeks ago, not interested in opinions on why i shouldn't do this, cause I am going to continue, I know they're out there, and this looks to me to be the best way to find the little green bastards, OK?

The point of this post however is this. My computer used to idle around 51C, when I play games, GTA3, DiabloII, Serious Sam, etc.. the temp would spike up to 54, every once in a great while, 55. Yesterday I get home from work, and after crunching numbers all day, the temp is sitting at 57C! Now, I'm not worried about frying the processor, I've got it set to shut down at 60, both in the bios, and with another program I keep running, Mbprobe, so I figure one or the other forgets, I'm covered.

I would think that the games I run are harder on the processor than Seti would be, but apparently Seti is doing some major crunching, anyone else notice this?

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know for sure but don't all of those crunching programs run your processor at its full potential? Therefore it would make sense that it was hotter than when playing games because most likely those games don't use the entire potential of your 1800+ processor.

persnally I am surprised that it runs that cool! Is it a retal fan? My bf (brainsoft) has a 2100+ and when he was using the retail fan he was getting temps of darn near 70 C running under full load :eek: and 60C anyway! I don't know how cool it runs now that he has a Volcano 7+ but I know it is significantly cooler.

PuterTutor

No, it's not retail. It's a Dragon Orb 3.

Sounds like a Jet Engine taking off, but it keeps it cool enough.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
SETI and other DC projects keep your CPU running at 100%. NO idle cycles. You're ALWAYS at full load, rather then a game sometimes spiking you up to 100%, but usually less.

As a result, it'll run hotter.

Justintime

Something
Yes, Putertutor, ever thought about converting to a thermalright AX-7 and a nice quiet 80mm fan? it'll prolly cool just as good or even better and be wayyyyyy quieter!

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
brainsoft loves the Volcano 7+. It's one hellva heavy thing though!

PuterTutor

!!

Yeah, now if I just had a decent computer shop around here, I went up to the local dive a couple weeks ago, and the fans they have there are rated for processors up to 400Mhz!!!!!

Just wonder how they manage to keep up with the times!

So anyway, I'll probably have to order online, but then I can't just order a fan, so I'll have to figure out something else to get. Damn, I just HATE ordering new computer parts,:rolleyes:

PuterTutor

Well if it's any consolation, that makes me feel a little better. You need to kick your bf's ass. I thought he was your computer guy, and he lets you live with onboard video?

:smash:

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
Puter Tutor: his extra video card to too big for my case (I have a little tiny HP case)

PuterTutor

Ahhhhhh

Yep, I've upgraded the RAM in one of those once, don't know how they even manage to get airflow through those things.

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
It is VERY tiny!

I won't even try to get my hands in there. I put brainsoft's 2nd machine (dual Celeron 400's) back together for him one day when he had it apart but I will not put my hands in my machine. it's so tiny I am afraid of knocking stuff!